Londinium Espresso

Thread: Advice please- used Mazzer Major refurb for home use

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Default Advice please- used Mazzer Major refurb for home use

Inspired by the living legends who stalk these corridors, Iíve picked up a used Major on ebay at a good price. Collecting tomorrow so not sure what condition Iím going to find it in. In any case itís going to need a strip and clean but maybe also new burrs.
    Iím pretty excited and looking forward to seeing what 83mm flat burrs do for my Pavoni lever.
    Iíve been reading the various refurb and mod threads and wondering how far to go given that Iím up for a little kitchen table tinkering but Iím definitely no @jimbojohn or @coffeechap. Iíd be grateful for some advice and guidance:

-Single dosing tube with weight? This seems quite easy to do and itís acceptance into our kitchen will be helped with the removal of a hulking great hopper.
    -Add clean sweep cardboard fins to the doser arms and maybe an Easter egg sat in the middle?
    -I think Iím going to have to embark on a wiring tweak as it is an automatic. I havenít found any good guides for this yet. Any link gratefully received.
    -Removing the doser entirely and add an (octopus type) funnel? Might be within my skill set but not 100% I could do a neat job making a cover plate.
    -What about buying a Mazzer grocery spout and motor cover plate? Is this a daft idea? Would this just hose out too messily? Could it work weighing into the grinder and collecting into a metal cup/cocktail shaker type lid?
    -Every twist and turn with espresso seemingly leads to another unfathomably deep rabbit hole so I am going to leave burr options (eg OEM vs SSP) and varying (slowing) rpm and static screen vs clumping for another time.

Iím going to see what I get tomorrow and report back. I may even need to consider a paint job!!
    __
    Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + MBK Feld2 (V60). Work: Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

You can fit an Auberins timer and pulse switches and turn it into an electronic. Check the forum thread covering this.
    Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    659 Post(s)

Just hunt out the threads on here . If you need new burrs let me know I have a few sets of Major ti burrs
    Didi matloba

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Clean sweep and the tube for a hopper is a good start.

When you pick up the grinder check if it runs silently without any beans in it. It should just hum. If it makes a racket the bearings are knackered. It a big job to replace them I wouldnít attempt it.

Iíve done the auber mod on mine as well as the fudge funnel mod. Theyíre much bigger projects.

Iíve had mine for ages.
    Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Default Advice please- used Mazzer Major refurb for home use

Quote Originally Posted by urbanbumpkin View Post
    Clean sweep and the tube for a hopper is a good start.

When you pick up the grinder check if it runs silently without any beans in it. It should just hum. If it makes a racket the bearings are knackered. It a big job to replace them I wouldnít attempt it.

Iíve done the auber mod on mine as well as the fudge funnel mod. Theyíre much bigger projects.

Iíve had mine for ages.
    Thanks I think youíre probably right Iíll start that this is where I will start. I just started reading the Auber timer mod and it is a bit beyond me for now (dremel on the Xmas list)

Great tip about silent running. Iíll definitely do this.
    __
    Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + MBK Feld2 (V60). Work: Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder