CoffeeHit

Thread: Anyone Sous Vide..ing Out There?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Anyone Sous Vide..ing Out There?

This retirement malarky has a lot to answer for, as apart from discovering my Smoking/BBQing hanging meat Barrel Cooker, I've now also discovered sous vide cooking.
    IT'S CHUFFIN BRILLIANT!

Yes it's more faff than sticking your steak in a pan and frying it or bunging your joint in the oven, but the results in my humble opinion are worth it. Never again will I have a steak under or over cooked. Perfection every time. Pink, moist lamb, succulent pork tenderloin and more.

Check out the YouTube channel 'Sous Vide Everything' and you'll see why.

Anyone else out there using the sous vide way of cooking and if so, what do you think of it?

Oh here's my set-up, total cost £63.99.

IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1185.JPG
    Last edited by Pompeyexile; 6 Days Ago at 11:32.
    Gaggia Classic w/silvia wand and PID, Brasilia RR55OD, Motta 58mm tamper, Motta Stainless Steel knock box, Motta Stainless Steel 350 & 500ml Milk Frothing Jugs, Brewista scales, Tiamo tamping station, Notneutral cups & mugs. Technovorm Mochamaster, Clever Dripper, Aeropress....Lots of determination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I swear by my Anova for every type of meat. I've made steaks, pulled pork, sausages, ribs and chicken breast with it. Salmon turns out perfect in no time as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I dabble with sous vide. Favourite thing so far has been 72 hour Asian pigs cheeks served in bao buns
    Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a sous vide but I don't really use it for steaks. I find it a bit too much faff when you can cook a steak in 5 minutes and nail it with practice and an instant read thermometer. I tend to think having all that time in the pan builds a better flavour. Pre searing and post searing in a pan when sous viding is good, but not as good considering you have to limit the time to prevent over cooking. I don't find the extra steps worth it. Maybe if I had one of those searzall attachments and could get a better sear I'd switch.

If I do something like a lamb/venison rack I always do this in the sous vide. Uneven thicknesses of meat, lots of bones conducting heat, it's harder to nail consistency and I don't cook it often enough. Bung it in at something like ~52 for 2-3 hours with some herbs, sear it in some butter with more herbs and it's perfect.

Eggs are another quick and easy thing to do in the water bath of you want particularly consistency - serious eats has a great post on the effect of temperature and time.

Not got around to doing a multi day braises in the sous vide yet but it's a popular way of doing something like short rib.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

72 hour beef ribs 57 degrees .... 8 hours to go.... Ice bath when done, then into the freezer. Heat up for 1.5 hours at 57 degrees then a quick blow torch and it's a restaurant quality meal in a snap on a week night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)

Fantastic cooking method...around from when i was a child....yummy!

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Sounds like a spin off from a Japanese method of producing perfect boiled eggs - if they did it with eggs they probably did it with other things.

Based on mutterings from Gordon Ramsay who had something in his kitchen to do the same thing. He reckoned that they did use baths.

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D
    Too many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

When cooking at 57°, does one need any special vacuum bags?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ajohn View Post
    Sounds like a spin off from a Japanese method of producing perfect boiled eggs - if they did it with eggs they probably did it with other things.

Based on mutterings from Gordon Ramsay who had something in his kitchen to do the same thing. He reckoned that they did use baths.

John
    -
    Yeah they most probably did it first for eggs. Onsen eggs, named after the baths.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpydaddy View Post
    When cooking at 57°, does one need any special vacuum bags?
    You can pick up a bag sealer for £30-40 ish and individual BPA free bags or a roll that you can cut whatever sized bags you need from.

I've also just used ziplock bags (Google displacement method) 57 degrees won't denature them, although I think the purpose made bags are better as they're much stronger, much less chance of the bag splitting.