Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Star Coffee Leeds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default North Star Coffee Leeds

Hello all,

I just thought I'd share a post about the wonderful 'North Star Coffee' Shop and Roastery in Leeds.

I live in the city and have been to EVERY coffee shop and this place is the best (in my humble opinion.)

They are conscientious buyers of coffee, excellent roasters and most of all… fantastic coffee makers!

They constantly change their coffees and have a wide variety on offer throughout the year.

They are also always eager to be on the end of a phone to answer any/all questions about coffee and coffee making.

This sounds like I work for them. I don't. They are just excellent and I am sure that some of you may visit Leeds at some point and you should definitely make a little trip to North Star for a coffee or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I have been to North Star for the first time recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I take it you've tried the other more well known shops such as 200 degrees and Laynes. But have you tried Kapow? It's a tiny shop in the city centre, a few seating places but I usually get a take away. For me, their flat white was a notch or two above north star.
    LR, Niche & a steady stream of beans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I bought my Linea Mini through them and can honestly say it's some of the best service I've ever had. Massive thumbs up for these guys from me!
    La Marzocco Linea Mini, Compak R120

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)

I am well impressed with their beans - we’ve had some superb stuff recently. And a trip to their cafe is a treat - there then the Royal Armouries, then back to NS. Perfect!
    L-R / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Customised Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer tool / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Square Mile / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guinea pigs / a dog / a very lovely husband / and a large array of coffee towels!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yep they have absolutely nailed some of their roasts recently, and ramped up on what I have had from them previously.

That said I think I have had their coffee brewed better than they do it themselves at an alternative venue in Leeds; a real quirky spot it has to be said - The Union Coffee House on Great George Street, worth a visit if you don't mind the 'second hand furniture emporium' feel to the place. Last few times I called in there were various North Star offerings. Possibly the smaller footfall they have means they don't have to turn out so much as quickly as they do in Leeds Dock and can focus more on delivering the quality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ive always ordered my beans from North Star! Cracking coffee, brilliant service and great delivery!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I've been having some trouble taming the sour notes in their huye mountain :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fez View Post
    I've been having some trouble taming the sour notes in their huye mountain :/
    Go long for espresso on this one .
    Pulled a few really lovely delicate shots at close to 1:3
    I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrboots2u View Post
    Go long for espresso on this one .
    Pulled a few really lovely delicate shots at close to 1:3
    Thanks will try it. I did try at 1:2.5 and although it was a bit more drinkable than 1:2 it still wasn't that enjoyable.

Will try a 17g dose at 1:3, hopefully I'll be able to get 51grams out of the pull.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)

Time wise don't be afraid to push it a little . Grind finer , ore infuse a little bit more , perhaps ten seconds, don't be afraid to push the shot time over 40 seconds
    I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc