Bella Barista

Thread: Quickmill Andreja (NOT Premium): Worth it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Quickmill Andreja (NOT Premium): Worth it?

I'm eyeing a Quickmill Andreja, which seems to be the non-Premium model, and I'm wondering if it even makes sense to invest in a machine that seems to be completely usurped by the Andreja Premium/Verona models from a new technology perspective. Are the non-Premium Andreja models even worth it these days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

What machine do you have at the moment ? Is this for an upgrade ?
    There is a review on Coffee Snobs about this machine, someone asking the same question as you.
    Basic E61 machine with parts available.
    I do not think Dave C reviewed this machine but I am sure he can give you advice on it, and will.

Do you need all bells and whistles ? OR just good coffee ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Hi El Carajillo! I do not have a machine yet... at least in the UK. I'm coming from having a Mini Vivaldi (DB) in the US, so this would actually be a downgrade. I have been trying to pick up a used HX or DB, not more than a few years old and kept up well. There is a slightly different array of machines available in the UK/EU market so I'm trying to familiarize myself. I think the holy grail would be an ACS Minima... But I'm aware they are so new that used machines or used beta machines will be tough to come by.

I think as far as usage goes I'd probably most often make an espresso for myself in the morning most days of the week, and then two milk-based drinks perhaps 2-3 days of the week (for myself and my partner). To me that rules out single boiler machines, and I'm wary of HX machines that are older (the Andreja I'm looking at is probably 2010) due to heat up times. I think the predominance of Andreja Premium buzz/reviews has got me wondering if a regular, older Andreja is just not worth the investment. I think the only thing intriguing is that it seems like it has been taken care of quite well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

One thing to bear in mind in the UK is the water hardness and where any pre-owned machine has been used. In many ares the water is VERY hard and scaling quite probable.

Ref heat up times, although the machine may heat up fairly quickly the mass of brass in the brew head takes considerably longer to come to full temerature = 30 mins. This is partly why many people use timers or Wemo's for switching on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The Andreja has a small vertical boiler with many components very close together. I had recurring problems of the anti vac valve spitting water onto the over temp sensor causing the machine to blow the mains fuse. Generally the components are badly laid out with a horrible wiring loom which can also cause problems. The insulation on the boiler starts to degrade after about 2 years. If you want an HX machine of that period an Izzo machine would probably be more reliable if not as pretty.
    Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie