Londinium Espresso

Thread: Dedica EC680- not quite right

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Dedica EC680- not quite right

Iíve had my EC680 for a little while now but have always used pre ground espresso.

ive been reading the forum for a good few days and have been trying to see how I can get the best out of the machine.

I understand that itís a very basic machine so I'm not expecting miracles. My next purchase is a decent grinder, such as an Iberital MC2 and then a potential machine upgrade to a Gaggia or similar.

as it stands I get a rather bitter tasting espresso which isnít as thick as Iíd like.

Would this be down to bean and grind or would you say that the machine is just isnít man enough or incorrect temperature settings? I didnít really want to faff about with it if itís not up to par to start with

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I would say sell the machine for whatever you can get for it on Facebook or Ebay. You can get unpressurised smaller baskets to fit this type of machine but working with them is hard (harder to tamp smaller baskets). You'll need a tamper to fit the basket as well so you're looking at a £40+ investment to improve a machine that still won't really be capable of making a decent espresso -- it will either get too hot or not hot enough, and fluctuate through the shot, and then you've got to deal with the pressure likely being too high. When you upgrade to a machine with commercial baskets like the gaggia classic you will be stuck with a tamper that's useles

An Iberital MC2 will grind coffee but believe me it is not a decent grinder at all. I moved from that to a Mignon which was a million times better, then from there to an E8 which was a lot better still. I used a Lido E for a while and got a Pharos last year which I've been using since. I would say don't be afraid of hand grinding, especially when just starting out as it's a lower investment that you can mostly recoup selling second hand. You can find used OE Pharos grinders for less than £200 that you'll be able to sell on for just as much or more should you want to; the Lido E is definitely not a bad option either (to name just two good hand grinders).

See if you can get a used Gaggia Classic from the forum or ebay. Look for modified machines with PIDs and other upgrades.

Your bitter, thin espresso will be due to using stale pre-ground coffee. It will also likely be due to operator error (not distributing and tamping, not weighing coffee in and espresso out to ensure it doesn't run too long). And the machine is not helping matters...haven't even mentioned pressurised baskets or cleaning the 'group' yet.

You could also go the tried and tested route of all masochists and get yourself a shiny La Pavoni lever. Fond memories. Burning myself on the exposed boiler. Pulling muscles in my arm. Stabbing myself with picks when trying to yank out the shower screen gasket to perform some basic maintenance. Pulling the espresso at the same precise time after turning the machine on every morning and letting it cool for a precise time until the afternoon. Ahhh the memories. 4 years on and my right arm is still twice the size of my left, but at least the callous on the palm of my hand has gone.
    Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Wow, thanks for the advice, that’s all really helpful.

i have been looking at a few Gaggias on eBay and I think it’s time to bin off my old machine.

This espresso game is more in depth than I ever thought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Way more in depth. Let me know if you want the link to the Pharos I've seen.
    Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes please, il take a look at all the options. Nice one