Londinium Espresso

Thread: Hello from Southend on Sea- espresso advice please

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Hello from Southend on Sea- espresso advice please

Hi there,

Iím Lewis and this is the second time Iíve written this out as the first one didnít upload haha

Iíve been loving espresso for a while but Iím still a bit of a noob to be honest. I fell in love with it after having a really strong and thick espresso in Venice and have been hooked since!

Iím currently seeking that perfect espresso not sure which way to turn now? I have a basic Delonghi Dedica which does an ok espresso, but foolishly I thought getting a Nespresso Vertuo was a good idea... itís like drinking lukewarm coffee through a dirty sock!.. i wil be getting rid of that ASAP, despite only having it a couple of weeks and having over 120 pods left!

Ive been intrigued by automatic machines as they seem to do a nice looking espresso but then Iím thinking just to stick with the basic Dedica and get a grinder so I have fresh coffee?!

What would your advice be?...any advice is greatly welcomed, thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Best advice from a fellow noob

Read all the threads it’s great an absolute treasure trove here

Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I did that. Not sure what I clicked but nothing was posted so I spent two days assuming there was a moderator vetting first posts to weed out bot accounts. Turns out nope.

Like you, I've been using a Dedica but looking to change to something better. Have you moved to unpressurized portafilters with it yet (though that's with a grinder). It's still a bit faux espresso, but a little closer than the Dedica default. A grinder would be first thing to buy, as basically it opens up better options via fresh beans (Dedica is a sod getting pre-ground to work with it properly, especially espresso grinds) and you'd need one anyway if you plan on then upgrading machines to something better. But, take my advice and be clear about what you want the grinder for, whether it's espresso only or espresso and drip or french press. The grinder I bought (a cheap Baratza Encore) a few years ago, isn't really suitable for espresso, mandating I get a replacement to upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by All_a_Mort View Post
    I did that. Not sure what I clicked but nothing was posted so I spent two days assuming there was a moderator vetting first posts to weed out bot accounts. Turns out nope.

Like you, I've been using a Dedica but looking to change to something better. Have you moved to unpressurized portafilters with it yet (though that's with a grinder). It's still a bit faux espresso, but a little closer than the Dedica default. A grinder would be first thing to buy, as basically it opens up better options via fresh beans (Dedica is a sod getting pre-ground to work with it properly, especially espresso grinds) and you'd need one anyway if you plan on then upgrading machines to something better. But, take my advice and be clear about what you want the grinder for, whether it's espresso only or espresso and drip or french press. The grinder I bought (a cheap Baratza Encore) a few years ago, isn't really suitable for espresso, mandating I get a replacement to upgrade.
    Thanks for your reply!

at the moment I just buy preground espresso from an online retailer and put that in the machine/handle thing (exercise my lack of coffee machine anatomy) and drink wha Iím given!

Iím contemplating starting my coffee venture from scratch as my dedica is a couple of years old now. Iím just not sure whether to go machine and grinder or fullly automatic?
    One of the reasons why I got the Nespresso was to save the daily aggro of cleaning up espresso grinds. However, Iím willing to do that for a decent double espresso!
    my budget is probably £400/500 all in so not sure if Iím being unrealistic here?!

ill continue browsing the threads but again, any advice is greatly welcomed.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks, Iíve been putting a fair bit of trawling in so far. Plenty of reading here!!!

Edit- this was in reply to Saltydog... I have sausage fingers and itís too early!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A decent grinder and fresh coffee makes a really big difference! I got an Iberital MC2 several years back and it's still going strong. You can get them for about £140 (for the auto version) so you'll still have plenty of budget left-over if you then want to upgrade machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewbur View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

at the moment I just buy preground espresso from an online retailer and put that in the machine/handle thing (exercise my lack of coffee machine anatomy) and drink wha I’m given!

I’m contemplating starting my coffee venture from scratch as my dedica is a couple of years old now. I’m just not sure whether to go machine and grinder or fullly automatic?
    One of the reasons why I got the Nespresso was to save the daily aggro of cleaning up espresso grinds. However, I’m willing to do that for a decent double espresso!
    my budget is probably £400/500 all in so not sure if I’m being unrealistic here?!

ill continue browsing the threads but again, any advice is greatly welcomed.

thank you
    Not sure whether by fully automatic you mean bean to cup but with manual milk steaming or one of the machines that does everything.

For £500 or so, what they'll probably tell you is to either look at something like the Sage Barista Express that has a grinder built in, a Sage Dual Temp Pro and a grinder or to look at something second hand like an old Gaggia Classic (with PID mod), which can be had cheap on ebay etc and then get a grinder. On this forum, there is a sale section where members sell off their old gear when they upgrade or change (which is frequently). You have to have made a number of posts before being able to see it I think, but it can't be many as I can see it. That might offer some options as there are people selling things like a Sage DTP and a Mazzer Super Jolly or other stuff that would be too expensive bought new. I've always been suspicious of second hand stuff, but here you can see who had it last which helps allay fears of being conned by some rogue on ebay etc and they can offer advice if you have issues. Plus, the ex-commercial stuff is usually very hard wearing and easy to repair with spare parts for servicing etc. I may end up going down that route myself when I've given what to buy some more considered thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)

The starter kit is often a Gaggia Classic, pre Phillips model paired with a Eureka Mignon or the like. They often come up for sale on the forum both in modded and unmodded form. Reliable, proven and will open the gateway to allowing you to make your own half decent coffee in time, whilst saving up!
     You did not get me this time 

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Having just got a Gaggia Classic, I would definitely recommend. With the steam-wand modification steaming becomes a pleasure too. Mine fortunately came with a PID upgrade giving much better accuracy on temperature, but I believe the mod. is relatively easy.