CoffeeHit
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apollo manual hand grinder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I know that I emailed with questions several times now and a month ago.
    And yes Kunu is produced in Romania.
    ☕Gaggia☕Enthusiast☕

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    That's partisanship because of Arthur's connection with Pavoni. There's nothing in his grinder that would sway a person to sell his Kinu. Especially true for Europeans.

TBH I'd rather buy something like a Comandate with red Clix because I know the grinder's been through some iterations, like the Kinu, and enough people have tested the product.

Endorsement from a handful of people who know the maker is actually more dubious than anything else.
    Have you seen the video review in the OP? Or another written review online comparing the two; clearly there are things that would sway people to sell their Kinu. Indeed these were Europeans. This is another case of you acting like you know everything about everything, and I guess it's likely that you don't have any experience of either grinder - certainly not of both. I don't either, in this case, but at least I'm stating that I'm just passing on others' opinions, not pretending to know all the differences myself when I don't have a clue.

The people don't "know" the maker, only about 3 people on the group have had any communication with him outside of ordering the grinder off him, or commenting on the photo of his morning coffee.

Again, Kinu is more proven, obviously, but I never said anything against that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

You are right, I have almost 2 years of using a Kinu but I know nothing.

Have you actually read the topics about kinu on home-barista or kafe-netz?

It's nice that you are convinced the Apollo is better just because 2 people on the internet say it is. It's also cute that no one talks about alignment and just take for granted burrs rubbing when they aren't locked.

https://www.home-barista.com/grinder...ns-t56895.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've a Kinu M68, bought off their website last August. It's beautifully built and very repeatable, tiny grind adjustments are effective in small changes in the shot length and B.R. After a month of ownership I noticed the internal drive shaft had moved a touch in its driveplate. Not a serious problem but it did cause the zero point to move.
    When I emailed Kinu to ask about this, Christian at Kinu offered to have the grinder back and renew the shaft assembly. They sent a DPD collection next day and duly replaced and updated my Grinder with a small design change, which hadn't been released at that point. I received my Grinder back after about 10 days and it has been faultless since.
    I'm personally very happy with their service and support. The factory in Rumania is based around rifle producing machinery and is being currently upgraded with their insurance money, following a partial fire at Christmas. As another engineer will know, the line boring and surface grinding machines used for military rifle production are very suitable for their grinder designs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dev View Post
    You are right, I have almost 2 years of using a Kinu but I know nothing.

Have you actually read the topics about kinu on home-barista or kafe-netz?

It's nice that you are convinced the Apollo is better just because 2 people on the internet say it is. It's also cute that no one talks about alignment and just take for granted burrs rubbing when they aren't locked.

https://www.home-barista.com/grinder...ns-t56895.html
    You still know nothing about the Apollo. I never said the Apollo was better, i said that it's stupid to say there's no reason to prefer the Apollo when there are clear reasons that you don't even need to feel yourself to see merit in. You're so certain that something you've never tried doesn't compare.

You often don't realise this in arguments on here I am realising, it's not you make one claim and someone else makes opposing claim, it's you make unfounded claim whilst the other person says it's not necessarily that simple.

Also, people experience burr rub on Kinus, too. And what do Kinu say? "That's normal"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/comm...burr_rub_at_0/

But keep deluding yourself based on your very limited experience (talking about quality control by comparing your one perfectly working grinder to 1 comment online about another) into thinking you've got it all under wraps.
    Last edited by HBLP; 11-02-19 at 11:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If you had the curiosity of reading some actual topics about kinu you'd know there were iterations that had burrs touching at the zero position.

In the meantime, keep telling yourself 2 folks on the internet, more or less honest, know what they're talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

The Apollo will cost around £15 less than the Kinu once you've factored in VAT, customs tax and shipping. Kinu offer a five year guarantee which is pretty good. The grind cup has gone through a few iterations - first batch was 'O' ring fit later changed to four rare earth magnets. Latest versions have eleven rare earth magnets. Member of the forum had problems with his four magnet cup - Kinu sent him the new version as a replacement.

The Kinu is made from stainless steel - the Apollo is aluminium - nothing intrinsically wrong with that but, for the money, I'd want stainless steel. Kinu has greater capacity over the Apollo - 30-35grms to 25grms - not a problem for espresso but could be annoying for pour over when brewing 500grms.

Doesn't look like the latest versions of the Kinu are shipped with the aluminium rod used to drift out the bottom bolt. Perhaps Kinu feel this is unnecessary. The Apollo has a retainer plate held in place by two micro Philips screws. Whilst this seems a more user friendly way of securing the bottom burr, I would have concerns about the possibility damaging the screw head or or the thread in main body.

In the end, its horses for courses - both are similar spec and cost pretty much the same.
    Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Any other premium manual grinders that can travel if necessary to consider?
    ☕Gaggia☕Enthusiast☕

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Helor 101 is considered up there, especially since it comes with 2 sets of burrs. But it's got the same Apollo construction, steel burrs in an aluminum housing, and durability can be questionable over time.

If you're considering this as you main grinder I'd go for the Kinu since they are built to last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Kinu is built like a tank - oozes durability. Downside - weighs over a kilo. On the bright side, you could always use it as a door stopper when not in use.
    Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast