CoffeeHit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second shot inconsistent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Have you checked the temperature of the group when you come to the machine later? As in touched it for a second to see if it's hot enough to burn? If you get an airlock the group could be cooling down before you come back to the machine. Do you use the steam wand after your first shot?
    Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Do you perform a cooling flush on the second shot after the machine has been idle for 30 minutes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Out of interest where are your beans being stored?

Could the temperature of the beans be the issue? Overnight they get cold and then during the day as the central heating comes on they warm up.

In the early days I found bean temperature affected extraction and as such now keep them in the freezer for consistency.
    Lelit Mara PL62 / HG-1 / Eazytamp / sweetcorn skewer / completely healthy relationship with coffee (and bank manager).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

My guess is temperature - depending on how an e61 hx is setup and how the operator uses it, 2nd shot can be hugely different temp in my experience.

I had the same issue - it wasn’t until I got a group head thermometer that I realised I was flushing too much water after first shot and/or not waiting long enough for recovery.

On saying that I would say most e61 hx’s run hot enough for 2nd shot to be ok unless you’re running quite a low boiler pressure? Is your boiler pressure topping out under 1 bar?
    Sage DB - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments - this has been very helpful.
    My beans are stored near to the grinder and not far from a radiator in the kitchen actually so yes they may be heating up a bit - hadn't considered that so I'll move them to a cooler area.
    Yes, the group head is still red hot to touch after I come back for the second shot - I'll make a note of the pressure gauge though as I hadn't been checking that.

I did have a bit of success yesterday & this morning as I've tried something different.
    Just before I start to grind the beans into the basket I did a flush of water for 5 sec but this time while the portafilter is connected to the grouphead.
    I dried the basket and spouts thoroughly before going about my routine as normal (including another flush just before I'm about to reconnect the portafilter for the shot).
    The strong salty taste didn't seem to be present.
    It's early days yet so I'll need to try keep trying this but it's definitely a bit better.
    Was wondering if maybe some coffee oils or residue are being purged from the portafilter in doing this extra step?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12