1920 Caffe UK
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steaming with the Silvia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by awholelatteproblems View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my setup for espresso making - my Silvia has the meCoffee PID, and after various amounts of adjustment, I have a consistent brew temperature.

Where I'm struggling is with milk steaming. I'm very happy drinking espresso, or a long black, so it's not the end of the world. In fact, if I got good at steaming maybe my consumption of milk wouldn't be so good! Having said that, I'd like it at least to be a viable option.

My overarching question is, is it ever really going to be a viable option with the Silvia?

I've bought a 330ml jug, but even with that I get to the point of water running through the wand more quickly than I'm able to get enough air incorporated. I have my boiler set to 140C as I found that helped some, at least with having a little more steam.

One thing I'm considering is this jug that encourages a toroidal flow - if anyone has any experience with them, I'd appreciate any feedback (as a newbie I'm not sure I should be posting links as yet, but it's called an Espro Toroid. Seems like a lot of money for a milk jug though!

Thanks in advance for any help and advice
    Assuming the steam temp is set by the PID you could increase it to get better steam. IIrc the Silvia has a 165° safety stat so 155° steam temp (minus the offset if you've set one to show group temp instead of boiler temp) should be safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanic View Post
    Cool, glad it helped
    Given you're running the same setup with the meCoffee PID, could I ask what you have your steam temperature set at with the meCoffee?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    Assuming the steam temp is set by the PID you could increase it to get better steam. IIrc the Silvia has a 165° safety stat so 155° steam temp (minus the offset if you've set one to show group temp instead of boiler temp) should be safe
    It's a nice idea, the PID seems to allow for a maximum of 140° though. Certainly the steaming controls on the PID are much less refined than for the brew! Simply a temperature to set, and an on / off functioning of the boiler on the way to attaining that temperature! Interestingly in the app, the default for that is 125° - will be interested to hear what @Stanic has his set at.
    Last edited by awholelatteproblems; 6 Days Ago at 07:39.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

It's a nice idea, the PID seems to allow for a maximum of 140° though. Certainly the steaming controls on the PID are much less refined than for the brew! Simply a temperature to set, and an on / off functioning of the boiler on the way to attaining that temperature! Interestingly in the app, the default for that is 125° - will be interested to hear what Stanic has his set at.
    Surprised the max is so low. The mecanical steam stat on the gaggia classic is 145° as standard & even that's considered worthwile upgrading to a 155° one if not running a PID! The Silvia has a larger boiler though so can produce more steam at a lower temp I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

It's a nice idea, the PID seems to allow for a maximum of 140° though. Certainly the steaming controls on the PID are much less refined than for the brew! Simply a temperature to set, and an on / off functioning of the boiler on the way to attaining that temperature! Interestingly in the app, the default for that is 125° - will be interested to hear what @Stanic has his set at.
    AFAIK that maximum temperature is due to the meCoffee PID temp sensor operating capacities, you don't really need temperatures of a nuclear powerplant primary circuit to get the job done.
    I had it set to 123 Celsius and never had any problems with steaming (assuming you're not going to froth multiple one litre jugs in one go )
    The lower temperature also provides for longer life of the heating element and everything else inside of the machine
    Last edited by Stanic; 6 Days Ago at 08:58.
    The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.
    MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feldgrind, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium