Bella Barista
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much coffee for 150,000 people?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

@OP I would work on the assumption that 10% of footfall is a high estimation of what you will capture trade-wise.

From a shop point of view, we work on a 1-2% capture of trade from footfall and that can be a stretch at times. To a captive audience, things will probably be a bit more skewed. I ran a coffee bar at Glastonbury one year and we did 35kg a day on 2x3 groups pulling double shots for every drink and we were in the best located area i could have thought of. On the complete flipside, I have seen people put on a hugely capable setup and staff where they are next to a fast, booze-led bar and they did 50 odd kg in a week. Location location location.

With a festival, I'd want to be the fastest serving, tastiest and most efficient bar on site. If I was an attendee and I saw a long line of people waiting ages to order/have made/collect drinks, I would avoid that bar like the plague. Your only real limit is how fast you can get orders in and delivered versus other traders. I'd happily leave one well alone and go to the fastest moving line if I were at any festival. You could probably steal trade from others without even meaning to by being incredibly efficient.

If you're going for it, make sure you get a good pitch and are capable of absolutely smashing out service times.
    'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotford View Post
    @OP I would work on the assumption that 10% of footfall is a high estimation of what you will capture trade-wise.

From a shop point of view, we work on a 1-2% capture of trade from footfall and that can be a stretch at times. To a captive audience, things will probably be a bit more skewed. I ran a coffee bar at Glastonbury one year and we did 35kg a day on 2x3 groups pulling double shots for every drink and we were in the best located area i could have thought of. On the complete flipside, I have seen people put on a hugely capable setup and staff where they are next to a fast, booze-led bar and they did 50 odd kg in a week. Location location location.

With a festival, I'd want to be the fastest serving, tastiest and most efficient bar on site. If I was an attendee and I saw a long line of people waiting ages to order/have made/collect drinks, I would avoid that bar like the plague. Your only real limit is how fast you can get orders in and delivered versus other traders. I'd happily leave one well alone and go to the fastest moving line if I were at any festival. You could probably steal trade from others without even meaning to by being incredibly efficient.

If you're going for it, make sure you get a good pitch and are capable of absolutely smashing out service times.
    Thanks @Scotford, having attended several times, but unfortunately not really paid attention to the coffee bars, your estimate "feels" right. I appreciate all your comments, especially regarding being efficient. I'm fairly confident about having the best coffee on site, going on previous events, but understand that people are reluctant to queue!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123