CoffeeHit

Thread: VST basket sizes for Rocket

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default VST basket sizes for Rocket

Can anyone confirm if the 20g VST ridgeless basket will fit in the standard rocket Portafilters.

if not I assume that the 18g ridgeless will fit but not sure...

anyone had had a play about with this

**follow up**

I now have the 20g ridgeless VST basket & can confirm it WILL fit into the standard Rocket Portafilter that I received with my Appartamento with no issues at all....

Also worth noting for those reading this that my drinks instantly taste better with the higher dose/VST combo.
    Last edited by HowardSmith; 1 Week Ago at 08:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

18 s fit most portafilters but best check baslet dimensions on the VST site if no one has the information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

A VST 20g will not fit in a spouted Rocket portafilter. Another good reason to get a bottomless portafilter!
    Rocket Espresso R58, Compak E8 red speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    A VST 20g will not fit in a spouted Rocket portafilter. Another good reason to get a bottomless portafilter!
    are you talkie about ridgeless or ridged

funny thing is I called Bella barista this morning & the guy check & he said a 22g ridged would fit in a spouted Portafilter... strange

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

Mine's an 18g ridgeless VST and it fits perfectly in the Rocket spouted and naked PFs. I haven't tried the bigger ones where depth is an issue, but either way I'm not keen on the ridged ones. All the ridge does is make it a PITA to get out of the PF. If you still have the wire spring, that will exert enough pressure to hold a ridgeless VST basket snugly in a Rocket PF.

___
    Eat, drink and be merry
    Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hotmetal View Post
    Mine's an 18g ridgeless VST and it fits perfectly in the Rocket spouted and naked PFs. I haven't tried the bigger ones where depth is an issue, but either way I'm not keen on the ridged ones. All the ridge does is make it a PITA to get out of the PF. If you still have the wire spring, that will exert enough pressure to hold a ridgeless VST basket snugly in a Rocket PF.

___
    Eat, drink and be merry
    Yeh I figured the 18g would fit no problem in whatever... TBH I do want the 20g though & the conflicting info is a bit confusing.... I also agree the ridge design is a pain, not so much getting it out but more because it just gathers grounds... In my old set up (Sage Barista Express) the baskets were straight walled with no ridge & the pucks knocked out perfect.... Not liking the rocket double basket so far TBH...

Out of interest what are you dosing into your 18g VST... I have found the rocket double will only take about 18.5g before it gets to close to the shower screen... Personally I do like a heavier dose of between 19 & 20g so trying to figure the best VST basket size for rocket portafilters in conjunction with appartamento.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)

I normally go from 17.3 up to 18.7 depending on what the coffee is. I've had perfectly good shots at just over 19 but don't go there as a general rule. Best to get a bigger basket if it will fit.

___
    Eat, drink and be merry
    Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
    are you talkie about ridgeless or ridged

funny thing is I called Bella barista this morning & the guy check & he said a 22g ridged would fit in a spouted Portafilter... strange
    Sorry for delay in replaying - I have a ridged 20g VST and that definitely does not fit. Feels like it is hitting the bottom before the ridge is an issue but I could be wrong.
    Rocket Espresso R58, Compak E8 red speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Update on post one.... The 20g VST RIDGELESS fits my standard rocket Portafilters with no issues...