Coffee Sensor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup help - Plumbing advice / suggestions needed for plumbed in machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Setup help - Plumbing advice / suggestions needed for plumbed in machine

Hi all

I have read various posts and and had a bit of advice already, but before I buy any more bits and bobs I am looking for some confirmation of what I plan will work, and what connections I may need.

My kitchen is 30' x 11', and the sink is on the oppisite wall to the sinl, 11' away. The machine will be on top of a double kitchen unit, which will house all of the gubbins. No height restrictions as you can see.

IMG_8588.jpg

I am planninng on running plastic pipes from the dishwasher tap, via either a T or Y, connecting to plactic pipe, going under the cellar, across to the other side of the kitchen, and up into the kitchen unit.

IMG_8600.jpgIMG_8599.jpgIMG_8601.jpg

In the kitchen unit, eiter connect directly to Brita C Filter Head 90-70%), or via an aquameter, but not sure if I will need one if renewing cartridge every year anyway. Out of the head, connecting to the PRV which is 3/8" - 15MM, but can be changed, to the byaided hose to the ECM which is 3/8"

So my questions are in order:

1. What should I use to split the dishwasher feed? A Y piece or a T piece? A Y will take up considerably less room under the sink than the T as the pipes will be still heading downwards rather than a right angle. I dont really want to use amy more space than is necessary under the sink, as that is the Mrs' area
    2. What adapter will I need from the Y/ T piece to connect to the plastic pipe going under the cellar
    3. What plastic pipe should I use - John Guest PEX? It gets cold in the cellar but not freezing
    4. Should I use 15mm or 22 mm pipe
    5. Will I need to insulate the pipe
    6. Once tha plastic pipe is in the kitchen unit, do i need to fit a stop valve there, as there is a on/off tap fitted at the dishwasher feed end.
    7. At this piont should i connect the Plastic pipe to the Brita/ Aquameter via a braided hose to give me the flexibility of pulling the cartridge in/ out of the kitchen unit sould i need to, or should i fit braided at this point regardless.
    8. What connection will i need form plastic pipe to braided hose
    9. From the head, 3/8" male to Honeywell prv - Sure I bought a 15MM one, but looking on the site the 15mm one id 1/2" connection, will i need to change this to a different size?
    10. From the PRV can I connect directly to the 3/8" hose that comes with the ECM?

Water hardness is 15 degrees German (?) according to Northumbrian Water

Sorry for the long post, but it beats working instead while sat at the PC!!!
    ECM Mechanika - On order, well sort of, I think.

Fiorenzato (Pavelly) F64 EVO On Demand Coffee Grinder

Bezerra BZ02 - Retired hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My kitchen is 30' x 11', and the sink is on the oppisite wall to the sinl, 11' away should read:
    My kitchen is 30' x 11', and the sink is on the oppisite wall to the machine, 11' away, but I cannot edit the post for some reason

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Well ever thought of just using bottled water? Maybe be another option.
    WHY DO CROCS HAVE HOLE'S IN?

TO LET YOUR DIGNITY OUT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

1. If the D/ washer supply comes from below the floor, take off from there wit a 'T' followed by an isolating valve (shut off).
    2.Depends on the pipe you are teeing off, plastic or copper. You can buy plastic fittings to suit copper and plastic, make sure you fit the retaining rings if required.
    3. Plastic pipe is fine (providing there are no mice (they like to eat plastic) Definitely insulation is required.
    4&5 15 mm pipe is fine, yes you do need to insulate it
    6. You will need an isolator valve beefore the filter. Also fit a drain off valve at the lowest part of the pipework.
    The fitting to the braided hose will depend on whether it has a male or female termination. JG do fittings to accommodate this.
    7. The 15 mm fitting is the replacement for the old 1/2"imp. you can buy reducing sets to change the size (bushes) or possibly a fitting.
    10. You should be able to buy a fitting to enable you to connect the PRV to the ECM hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jony View Post
    Well ever thought of just using bottled water? Maybe be another option.
    No - I've hand filled machines for about 18 years, so now that I have the room and am buying my first machine with the option to plumb in, I am going for it. I work from home if I am not working away, so I go through at least 6 cups per day, 2/3 for the Mrs, and the same on weekends, so with family over its about 60 cups a week on average if I am not out of the country

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El carajillo View Post
    1. If the D/ washer supply comes from below the floor, take off from there wit a 'T' followed by an isolating valve (shut off).
    2.Depends on the pipe you are teeing off, plastic or copper. You can buy plastic fittings to suit copper and plastic, make sure you fit the retaining rings if required.
    3. Plastic pipe is fine (providing there are no mice (they like to eat plastic) Definitely insulation is required.
    4&5 15 mm pipe is fine, yes you do need to insulate it
    6. You will need an isolator valve beefore the filter. Also fit a drain off valve at the lowest part of the pipework.
    The fitting to the braided hose will depend on whether it has a male or female termination. JG do fittings to accommodate this.
    7. The 15 mm fitting is the replacement for the old 1/2"imp. you can buy reducing sets to change the size (bushes) or possibly a fitting.
    10. You should be able to buy a fitting to enable you to connect the PRV to the ECM hose.
    Thanks for the info - We do get the Mice popping in to visit us now and then, which isnt a surprise in a large 150 year old house I suppose. There is lots of other plastic piping in the cellar clipped to the roof for the rads, and they havent chomped them in the 7 years they have been in that i am aware of, but good to know anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Think I'd go with a hardline taken off the mains too. Apart from anything else, it'll look more professional (mainly because it is) than splitting an existing feed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    Think I'd go with a hardline taken off the mains too. Apart from anything else, it'll look more professional (mainly because it is) than splitting an existing feed.
    It looks like all the plumbing was done before the kitchen was fitted, so although I agree with you, a lot of plumbing is boxed off, and I would need to pull units out to achieve this, so it’s not going to fly, unless you mean taking a T off where the mains comes in to the kitchen unit before the dishwasher feed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy Giro View Post
    It looks like all the plumbing was done before the kitchen was fitted, so although I agree with you, a lot of plumbing is boxed off, and I would need to pull units out to achieve this, so it’s not going to fly, unless you mean taking a T off where the mains comes in to the kitchen unit before the dishwasher feed?
    That would make things alot more difficult. When you mentioned water pipes in the basement, I assumed a feed from the mains was there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    That would make things alot more difficult. When you mentioned water pipes in the basement, I assumed a feed from the mains was there too.
    Actually it does feed from the basement, I will have a look.