Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is my puck sticking to the shower screen???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrboots2u View Post
    Its a sage
    Not exactly - It's a DB and they do seem to be prone to it. The Barista Express just has the problem over a very very small weight range easily avoided. Not so the DB.

I don't know how many Kg of my usual bean I have put through the DB without a single puck sticking but I'm not sure why. I used a kg of elephant recently and didn't manage a single shot without the puck sticking after trying all sorts of weights in the basket. I'm also using a pretty normal bean that turns out a bit weak in my americano with a 14g basket so stuck 17.8g in the double - it didn't stick. A one off so far. I was using various weights of them in the 14 basket but all stuck. All over 14g though as 14 is right for my usual MM drink. It's a light bean.

As the pucks with my usual bean just fall out I suspect the answer is a slightly low fill but in all honesty pass. Maybe they go magic roundabout zebedee syle, 3 way sucks them up and like zebedee go boing and spring back.

I hadn't seen any comments about this on the DB so asked about it on here - fair few same heres. Also found a retailer that mentioned that an unusual number of their customers have the problem also a reply from Breville there - effectively it happens and nothing can be done about it as it has a 3 way.

The fix was also mentioned - short push on the shot button. I suspect the gauge needs to get up to 2 bar and releasing the portafilter a bit may help.

IMHO it's an engineering problem that they just haven't sorted out. Maybe Doogle worked on it or they weren't given the time to sort it out. It also seems that white gloves always overfill. Maybe they don't stick then. Not a way I usually work as it needs coarser grinding. Maybe 6bar etc brewing prevents it - some one who uses these machines this way would need to comment. Maybe they don't expect people to brew with the OPV open - seen a hint about where they put the flow meter.

The machine itself - it does have a number of virtues.

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Robur,Ascaso I-1, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J
    Too many filter baskets - maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)

@ajohn it's not an e61 is it..no sage has an e61 brow group
    Other machines suffer from this too, so it's not just a sage design error.
    It's just a bi product of making espresso sometimes
    #Beans not machines- all welcome - where we taste and swap beans
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/503036363197361/
    I wrote a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Iíve had this with certain beans. One particularly delicious LSOL (canít remember which one) did it every shot. Itís a PITA but the easiest solution is to ignore it.
    Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrboots2u View Post
    @ajohn it's not an e61 is it..no sage has an e61 brow group
    Other machines suffer from this too, so it's not just a sage design error.
    It's just a bi product of making espresso sometimes
    The BE and Piccino isn't either. Never happened on the Piccino. It did on the BE with higher fill levels in the single, an extra 0.2g stopped it from happening, adding 0.2g could cause it. Probably more or less the same on the double as it was with the 14g basket I used on it. I suspect if the Piccino and other machines were examined where this doesn't usually happen a restriction would be found some where in the 3 way exhaust route to profile the rate the brew pressure drops at. Joey added a 3 way to a DTP and was wondering about adding restrictions. It wont be a dead easy thing to sort out.

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Robur,Ascaso I-1, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I have also tried removing the PF immediately after pulling a shot and leaving it for a few minutes and I still get the same result.

It doesn’t effect the taste and it still gives me great tasting coffee, it’s just a little irritating that’s all and wondered if I was doing anything wrong.
    Sage Dual Boiler, Niche Zero, Torr Goldfinger Flat Base Black 58.4mm Tamper, VST 18g Ridgeless Basket, Aeropress, Aergrind, Acme Cups, Acaia Digital Scales, LW Bean Cellars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    I have also tried removing the PF immediately after pulling a shot and leaving it for a few minutes and I still get the same result.

It doesn’t effect the taste and it still gives me great tasting coffee, it’s just a little irritating that’s all and wondered if I was doing anything wrong.
    To me it spoils the machine. You could try reducing the dose by say 0.2g steps and see if a few of those prevent it from sticking. I've tried finger on the shot button. Best option seems to be keep finger on and let the pressure get up to 2 or 3 bar then release. It's pretty brief. Top of puck is usually wet when it works. I expect to get the knack eventually.

John
    -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Could it be the the difference head space above the puck . The sage basket on the oracle took more coffee than it does on my E61 .. So a VST maybe needs a bit more on a Sage ??. Perhaps.
    Using the basket dosing tool as a measure might give you an idea ..
    Never had sticking on the oracle or E61

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicknak View Post
    Could it be the the difference head space above the puck . The sage basket on the oracle took more coffee than it does on my E61 .. So a VST maybe needs a bit more on a Sage ??. Perhaps.
    Using the basket dosing tool as a measure might give you an idea ..
    Never had sticking on the oracle or E61
    Sage use a higher fill height than what could be called normal machines. They can all vary a bit but as far as I am aware all are lower than sage. An oracle may be set up to use Sage dosing levels. This according to a few and maybe only one report means over dosing by the white gloves service on a DB. A significant amount of over dosing as well. @dfk41 may be able to fill you in.

I found the razor tool very useful on the Barista Express usually on the single basket as I wanted to get the max amount of grinds into it. As the weight changes as the grind setting is altered I set up for too much and used the razor tool to trim the dose each time the grinder setting was changed eventually using the weight it gave as a starting point - usually adding a bit more. I tried this on the DB when it arrived and it didn't work out at all and spent many many shots trying to find out what the fill height should be. One curious thing was that when the fill level was obviously too low the puck looked more or less normal. I'd have expected it to be wet.

On my bean that never sticks the level is a little lower than what the razor tool would leave. I'ev put several kg of these through it. I'm using a none standard shower screen though and I think that does reduce the available space over the puck. It definitely does around the rim. At one point I thought it helped - not at all sure now. It's an IMS woven Gaggia screen. It collects a lot of grinds which to me points to a problem with the 3 way exhaust. No warrantee on my DB so I will be seeing if this can be "improved" but my workshop will be unusable for another month or so.

John
    -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)

Certain beans are 'lighter or less dense', like Monsooned Malabar....this means that you have to have more of them in the basket to get the desired weight, which inevitably means more ground coffee......only option is to put less in
     You never hear the bullet thats kills you 

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

These threads never cease to amaze me.

Just turn the group on for a second once you remove the pf and it will fall out. What's the big deal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast