1920 Caffe UK
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pimp a Bruni Brunella

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojohn55 View Post
    ^ it is, but surprised to find in a 1967 espresso machine.

On with the citric and clean up

First the element

Attachment 37905 Attachment 37906

then the spring, which turned out to be nickel plated if a little rusty under the scale

Attachment 37907 Attachment 37908

still needs the plating topped up as its liable to get wet
    It almost looks like you went for the easy option of making yourself a new element!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
    Again, it's just such a pleasure watching the resurrection of a piece that's seen so much, had a life, has been put aside, and now is looking forward to a second summer

It must be full of 'holy' moments, kind of. Hopefully I can follow your path one day, Jim. Enjoy requickening your Carla mate
    Its also full of less holy moments, anyway whats stopping you, apart from the self levelling compound? - I think you should be lining up a machine or two as part of the wider roastery decoration,
    the arrival of the new pod machine at work
    http://captiongenerator.com/1157192/...achine-at-work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

chrome cap given a once over inside and out, just for the shiggles

IMG_20181209_170449229.jpg IMG_20181209_170934398.jpg

it always looks clean to start off with but the improvement is clear, particularly the depth of reflection in the surface

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Its also full of less holy moments, anyway whats stopping you, apart from the self levelling compound? - I think you should be lining up a machine or two as part of the wider roastery decoration,
    I hear you... maybe it's working two jobs as of soon, all the preparations going into that and the three more or much less healthy kids (the elder having had his 8th birthday today, you might have seen him in the photography corner thread lately), the tree house (or maybe at least a bird house to begin with) I should finally build with/for them, my car crash of late, two modern classic cars (1983 Rover 3500 V-forking-8 and 1985 VW Golf) waiting in garage for their share of screwdriving madness... erm, apart from that nothing is stopping me
    says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" ' @jimbojohn55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Fair point ^ - don't worry once you hit 50 you get the last few years to devote to your own interests as you slowly crumble away

Also good luck with the Rover V8, particularly the electrics, they used to call Joe Lucas the 'Prince of darkness' !

Now the 85 Golf now that should be straight forward

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Fair point ^ - don't worry once you hit 50 you get the last few years to devote to your own interests as you slowly crumble away

Also good luck with the Rover V8, particularly the electrics, they used to call Joe Lucas the 'Prince of darkness' !

Now the 85 Golf now that should be straight forward
    Haha yea don't you remind me of all the above

As for the Golf, that's what you think... but it's got a Pierburg 2E2 carb which is the last and most sophisticated (aka. complicated aka. forked up) type the Golden carb age would produce. I've already been fighting it for weeks with no improvement in idling stability... but I don't mean to hijack your thread
    says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" ' @jimbojohn55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)

Jim, how do these restorations rank in order of ease for you? They all look very different machines, but are some harder perhaps from a design point of view?
     You never hear the bullet thats kills you 

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dfk41 View Post
    Jim, how do these restorations rank in order of ease for you? They all look very different machines, but are some harder perhaps from a design point of view?
    Good question each has its own challenges and it also depends on condition, if I scored out of 5 - with 1 being easy and 5 being hardest

Pavoni Europiccola 1962-64 (5) the built in screen and liner is unique and requires its own tool, Element rare, Paint finish tricky, sight glass v tricky,
    Pavoni Europiccola 1973 (4) Close second -unique tools
    Pedretti Kim (3) Spring will be corroded and require re-plate, some gaskets handmade
    Bruni Brunella (3) as above
    Microcimbali (3) Cylinder will require re-plate - also issue likely with boiler corrosion, all spares available at a price
    Gaggia Mini (2-3) haven't started it yet
    Pavoni Europiccola 1980's (2) Straight forward twin element
    Pavoni Europiccola 1997 (2) Straight forward single element
    Gaggia Classic >2015 (1) No special tools required

Edit -some of the limitations can be the parts supply of the need to manufacturer a tool from scratch, everything is achievable given the time and resources, the rarer the machine the less info there is and research is needed.
    Last edited by jimbojohn55; 5 Days Ago at 12:59.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

After trying out a few different shades of reds to fill in dings and scratches on the paintwork I drew a blank, nothing quite matched so I nipped into halfords to study their limited and overpriced paint selection - at which point a bit like playing packman with the assistants as they patrol the isles, I managed to avoid a conversation about matching a shade of red to a 1960,s espresso machine and pawed through the Vauxhall, ford, Nissan reds, to no avail then lurking on the bottom row was a Honda Milano Red ! It looked very close, and so it has proved to be an exact match - weird that Honda use a shade of Red that matches a colour used in 1960's Milan, but they do.

So on with the touch ups and the project continues

IMG_20181215_131147859_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20181215_131538520.jpg