CoffeeHit
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sage Oracle - single filter basket - results ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ajohn View Post
    Of course they are as they have a distinct effect on taste.

John
    -
    You can make the drinks you make at almost any ratio by changing your grind.

By using "what ever" basket, you're not keeping anything constant - different basket & grind = variable result.

So, as I said, all your drinks are 315/x. The taste changes because of the difference in extraction efficiency (& different bean/roast). Different basket size makes final drink more/less concentrated, within that range of extraction (which is wide).
    “Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MWJB View Post
    You can make the drinks you make at almost any ratio by changing your grind.

By using "what ever" basket, you're not keeping anything constant - different basket & grind = variable result.

So, as I said, all your drinks are 315/x. The taste changes because of the difference in extraction efficiency (& different bean/roast). Different basket size makes final drink more/less concentrated, within that range of extraction (which is wide).

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Robur,Ascaso I-1, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J
    Too many filter baskets - maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

@Mic_b I have now checked the amounts.

Double: 21 grams exactly.
    Single: varies between 11 and 12 grams.

Should I change something?

Btw: Today something very common happened. I used the machine 3 times. 2 Singles and a double in between. Adjusted the grinder each time. But the last one was terrible. 70-80 ml in 30 seconds DESPITE adjusting the grinder for a single.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Those dose amounts are good for the Oracle. I do find it hard to get consistently good results though and that’s why I’m investing in a good quality grinder that I can single dose as I only make 1-2 drinks a day. I think the oracle is designed for having a full hopper of fresh beans and using the double basket. This when dialled in it does make good espresso however I just can’t use it like this as I’m not getting through enough coffee. The beans in the hopper go stale quickly as the machine heats them up with it being integrated. The most consistent results for me are to single dose with it. My workflow is something like this. Run grinder until totally out of beans and leave it running for an extra minute or so > add 25g, dose and then extract. I use scales and alsways aim for an extraction 1:2 (44g) in 28-38 seconds and adjust the grind to taste. This does work for me and I do get nice espresso now using either basket but they have to be dialled in differently. It is worth noting for some reason for me I need a long pre infusion for the single basket 7 seconds ish and either none or a very short pre infusion for the double or it tastes bad. I have no reason why this is and it’s taken me ages to figure this out. This also may be just me, my machine, grinder, taste etc and not work for you.

If if you stick with it I’m sure you’ll get there. Looking at peoples post on here there are a lot of sage dB users with a great deal of knowledge and top quality grinders that must be making really really good coffee and it’s basically the same machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

thank you @Mic_b for your suggestions! I also keep the hopper empty. Always fill in about 30/60 grams just before grinding. I will also try out your suggestion with the pre infusion. That's what I experimented the least up to now. Always aimed to be in the 7-12 second range.

I guess I will have to think about whether or not it's worth investing in a grinder. But before that I will work on getting the most out of the double filter basket. I may need your advice on that as well very soon

thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

@Oracle3000

Did you miss my thread?
    https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthrea...ith-single-cup

The single basket from Sage is bullshit. Over and out!

You may try the 10g from decentespresso:
    https://decentespresso.com/basket
    Used machine: Oracle Touch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

@oracleuser oh cool, thanks for sharing. Sounds exciting!!

I will read through the thread. So you're happy with the basket from decent espresso??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle3000 View Post
    @Mic_b I have now checked the amounts.

Double: 21 grams exactly.
    Single: varies between 11 and 12 grams.

Should I change something?

Btw: Today something very common happened. I used the machine 3 times. 2 Singles and a double in between. Adjusted the grinder each time. But the last one was terrible. 70-80 ml in 30 seconds DESPITE adjusting the grinder for a single.
    Your 2nd single may have been altered by changing the grinder setting. Each time you change setting some of the previous settings grinds will still be in the grinder. It's essentially the same grinder as they use in the Barista Express so I do know that the grind retention is pretty low. If you can arrange to waste a couple of grams of grinds each time you change settings it should get rid of the ones from the previous setting.

If your keeping the beans in the hopper it can also be a good idea to waste a couple of grams of grind 1st thing in the morning if say that last time you used it was the previous evening.

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Robur,Ascaso I-1, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J
    Too many filter baskets - maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thank you John, I will try that out! Sounds like a good trade-off. Fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)

1. getting constancy with the oracle is hard , even if you just use the double basket.
    2. single dosing it, it going tome this harder.
    3. as mentioned grief retention will be a factor between the two.

try using the machine as the manufacturer intended to get the best results. Double basket with some beans in it .
    #Beans not machines- all welcome - where we taste and swap beans
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/503036363197361/
    I wrote a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc