Coffee Sensor
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sage Oracle - single filter basket - results ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

@Mrboots2u

grief retention?

And what do you mean by "some beans" ? You keep your beans in the hopper on purpose??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle3000 View Post
    @Mrboots2u

grief retention?

And what do you mean by "some beans" ? You keep your beans in the hopper on purpose??
    Yes i keep beans in my hopper , i have about 200-250 g in there. that is 10-12 double shots. If you have two a day thats 5 days worth . It's unlikely your beans will stale in the hopper with a lid on it .
    It is compromise, the oracle system really is not designed to be single dosed (IMHO) . It struggles to deliver shot to shot consistency at the best of times. Yes it has a single basket, yes most machines come with a single basket. They are not optimal or easier to use.
    #Beans not machines- all welcome - where we taste and swap beans
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/503036363197361/
    I wrote a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks for clarifying. I actually don't mind keeping it almost empty. I try to keep the beans at surrounding temperature in a "coffee vault".

What I rather do is to flush the machine 3-4 times right after the Oracle reaches operating temperature. I got that from Phil McKnight. He says do it after using the machine, but I always do it before I use it. That way I also warm up my portafilter and the basket - is that what you guys do too? But I always make sure all components are dry as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle3000 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I actually don't mind keeping it almost empty. I try to keep the beans at surrounding temperature in a "coffee vault".

What I rather do is to flush the machine 3-4 times right after the Oracle reaches operating temperature. I got that from Phil McKnight. He says do it after using the machine, but I always do it before I use it. That way I also warm up my portafilter and the basket - is that what you guys do too? But I always make sure all components are dry as well.
    Re portafiter temp , if so do the same thing each time then thats the key. Ie If you dial in with the pf warm and make a shot with the pf cold , this may , may have some impact.
    Personally I don't I just buy the water temp a little from 93 ... it's all very subjective tho.
    Reason to flush after, is to clean the screen presumably .
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Meanwhile i have a "theory" for the inconsistencys that happen sometimes with the Oracle. When i put the portafilter to the machine i can feel what's going on: As fuller the portafilter is, as harder it is to get it connected to the machine. More resistance.

The tamping mechanism of the oracle works with pressure. When the beans age or are grind was uneven or whatever, then it seems to happen that the machine put somehow more or less into the portafilter or the height is different because of the different pressure-feedback is given from the different grind.

I notice that when clicking in the portafilter. When it gets hard i know before: This will be a shot with less volume.
    Used machine: Oracle Touch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oracleuser View Post
    Meanwhile i have a "theory" for the inconsistencys that happen sometimes with the Oracle. When i put the portafilter to the machine i can feel what's going on: As fuller the portafilter is, as harder it is to get it connected to the machine. More resistance.

The tamping mechanism of the oracle works with pressure. When the beans age or are grind was uneven or whatever, then it seems to happen that the machine put somehow more or less into the portafilter or the height is different because of the different pressure-feedback is given from the different grind.

I notice that when clicking in the portafilter. When it gets hard i know before: This will be a shot with less volume.
    I tested the dosing on mine ages ago , it was pretty accurate over a number of days. plus 0,4g which isnt bad
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrboots2u View Post
    I tested the dosing on mine ages ago , it was pretty accurate over a number of days. plus 0,4g which isnt bad
    Yes i know, the dosage is accurate. But then it's maybe the fill height or pressure?
    Just a few moments ago the oracle grinded and tamped a shot and after screwing the portafilter in which had much resistence i knew:
    This shot will have ~ 10ml less than the before. And i was exactly right!!

I can tell you meanwhile very accurate by the resistence of scrwing the portafilter in which ml output the machine will produce So, what do you think?
    Used machine: Oracle Touch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oracleuser View Post
    Yes i know, the dosage is accurate. But then it's maybe the fill height or pressure?
    Just a few moments ago the oracle grinded and tamped a shot and after screwing the portafilter in which had much resistence i knew:
    This shot will have ~ 10ml less than the before. And i was exactly right!!

I can tell you meanwhile very accurate by the resistence of scrwing the portafilter in which ml output the machine will produce So, what do you think?
    If you have problems putting the portafilter in you are most certainly putting too much coffee in the basket.

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Robur,Ascaso I-1, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J
    Too many filter baskets - maybe