Adams and Russell

Thread: R58 tripping my fuse box regularly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Default R58 tripping my fuse box regularly

Hi all,

Posted about this before and it turned out that some overly casual filling of the water tank was the culprit that time. However I've had the back and sides off and there is no sign of water on the base of the machine or anywhere else that it shouldn't be, as best as I can see anyway.

Wondering if anybody has experienced this sort of issue with an R58 to see if it's a simple part fix or something I can do before I go to the hassle of trying to find somebody to take a proper look at it.

It seems to trip a couple of minutes after I turn it on, possibly when the boilers kick in? It's worth noting that it doesn't always happen but it is happening more often than not at the moment, leading me to believe it's a part failing or lose wire somewhere.

Many thanks,

Ben
    R58, Chop top Mythos, IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What's it tripping? The socket breaker or the main breaker?
    Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 ¦ Mazzer SJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spoxehub View Post
    What's it tripping? The socket breaker or the main breaker?
    The RCD is the one that trips - lights, the cooker, TV etc all go when it trips

Fuse.jpg
    R58, Chop top Mythos, IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)

Always important to know if it's breaking from an RCD Tripping or over-current (it can indicate the likelyhood of a particular type of fault.

It seems to trip a couple of minutes after I turn it on, possibly when the boilers kick in? It's worth noting that it doesn't always happen but it is happening more often than not at the moment, leading me to believe it's a part failing or lose wire somewhere.
    A loose wire will cause overcurrent and that would trip the breaker not the RCD, as there would not generally be a current imbalance e.g. leakage to earth.

The clue is trips RCD in a few minutes....what are the key things happening in the first few minutes.

1. The heating element has full power and is expanding
    2. The water is heating up and expanding
    3. The metalwork of the machine, boiler and pipework is heating up and expanding (slower than the water)

For the above

1. The heating element could be faulty and shorting to earth, usually they get worse and worse and fail faster and faster...this will cause RCD to trip
    2. The pressure is building due to water expansion, but the metalwork hasn't fully expanded first, leaks (that close up later) are common in the first few minutes. It could be leaking on the the heating element terminals and allowing a short to earth, onto a component...basically anwhere where there is a joint in the pressurised brew circuit, including the heating element

An electric component is going faulty and shorting to earth during the warmup (or a wiring fault has developed), probably the least likely cause, unless it's a heating element. So the simpler reasons above should be checked worse. To do this you need a Screwdriver, Torch and time. Take case off and when machine is completely cold e.g. after overnight. Switch on and observe carefully.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Thanks Dave I’ll have a look tomorrow and see if I can see anything untoward

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi

Disconnect heating element and turn on the machine, its a best way to check if this is a source. Second most common thing is LED - disconnect LED on the front panel, check a cut off switch too, if its still happening than disconnect coils, one by one.

You can also inspect cables, isolation might be cracked and wire is touching panel or a pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GingerBen View Post
    Thanks Dave I’ll have a look tomorrow and see if I can see anything untoward
    How did you get on?
    Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 ¦ Mazzer SJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

If some one is stuck with a problem like this these actually work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VC60B-Dig...pT3:rk:54:pf:0

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Robur,Ascaso I-1, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J
    Too many filter baskets - maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spoxehub View Post
    How did you get on?
    seems to be working fine at the moment. I found a very small bit of water inside the case so dried that
    up and since then it’s been working fine.