Coffee Omega Rocket
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delonghi machines to avoid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Yep I learnt the hard way, purchased 2 different delonghi espresso machines thinking well maybe the next one will be better..... well it wasn't just as bad as the first piece of junk, no amounts of modifying makes these crap perform any better.
    seriously anybody considering a delonghi, save your money, don't go near one! personally I am no fan of gaggia either since 2015 they awful and getting harder to find decent condition second hand pre 2015 machines, and the big turn off for me is the aluminium boiler.
    I think if your on a budget and want an entry machine you cant go far wrong with a sage duo temp pro.
    Both the classic & dtp have different positive & negative points. At this price point it's a question of where your prioities are & what shortcomings you're prepared to live with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)

Yep I learnt the hard way, purchased 2 different delonghi espresso machines thinking well maybe the next one will be better..... well it wasn't just as bad as the first piece of junk, no amounts of modifying makes these crap perform any better.
    seriously anybody considering a delonghi, save your money, don't go near one! personally I am no fan of gaggia either since 2015 they awful and getting harder to find decent condition second hand pre 2015 machines, and the big turn off for me is the aluminium boiler.
    I think if your on a budget and want an entry machine you cant go far wrong with a sage duo temp pro.
    Definitely feeling the Delonghi love flowing in this thread....
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks again for the replies I will look at the Sage.
    Rob666 suggested maybe one of the other Gaggia’s is The Grangaggia any good someone is selling one nearby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Not only junk but they get really disgusting inside. Lots of little warm dark places for stale coffee grinds to get trapped and grow fur.
    Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmatron View Post
    Not only junk but they get really disgusting inside. Lots of little warm dark places for stale coffee grinds to get trapped and grow fur.
    I think you mean the bean to cup machines, with the grinder inside the machine, yes these can grow mould as its not easy to access and remove the brew group, and coffee grinds can spill inside the machine and mould can grow, but again this all down to not regularly opening the machine up and cleaning it. Although I don't advocate any bean to cup machines, mella comes closest.
    A traditional espresso machine isn't likely to grow mould, as only the grouphead comes into contact with the coffee and really you should flush the machine and wipe and clean the grouphead after every espresso, yes mould can grown in the internal pipes and water tank but then again I have never seen it due to thorough cleaning schedule, mould tends to grow in pipes after leaving the machine for a long time with no, water flushing through It regularly ideally daily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I think you mean the bean to cup machines, with the grinder inside the machine, yes these can grow mould as its not easy to access and remove the brew group, and coffee grinds can spill inside the machine and mould can grow, but again this all down to not regularly opening the machine up and cleaning it. Although I don't advocate any bean to cup machines, mella comes closest.
    A traditional espresso machine isn't likely to grow mould, as only the grouphead comes into contact with the coffee and really you should flush the machine and wipe and clean the grouphead after every espresso, yes mould can grown in the internal pipes and water tank but then again I have never seen it due to thorough cleaning schedule, mould tends to grow in pipes after leaving the machine for a long time with no, water flushing through It regularly ideally daily.
    I’m specifically referring to the de’longhi b2c machines as per thread. I found the used grounds would never be cleanly caught and would often be deposited in really awkward to reach places. Some folks are not prepared for the level of meticulous cleaning required in these machines, over and above a traditional espresso machine (which I’ve never experienced mould!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmatron View Post
    I’m specifically referring to the de’longhi b2c machines as per thread. I found the used grounds would never be cleanly caught and would often be deposited in really awkward to reach places. Some folks are not prepared for the level of meticulous cleaning required in these machines, over and above a traditional espresso machine (which I’ve never experienced mould!).

Yes I agree the b2c machines are disgusting, however the original post was looking at a delonghi scultura and ec330s both of which are traditional pump espresso machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes I agree the b2c machines are disgusting, however the original post was looking at a delonghi scultura and ec330s both of which are traditional pump espresso machines.
    Ah ok, missed that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok I currently have a Lavazza A Modo Mio Fantasia Plus purchased 18 months ago from JL. It was a huge step up quality wise from Instant. It recently went in for repair under JLs 2 year warranty. I drink a couple of cups a day. I hate throwing away empty pods and started to think I would step up.

Having spent a lot of time the last couple of weeks reading on this forum I was on track to purchase the infamous Gaggia Classic (pre 1015 models) from ebay. Of course I would then need a grinder. Anyway I managed to hold off as I have 3 months worth of pods to use up.

I got my Lavassa back last week and again was enjoying coffee. I think it also made me realise that I can't be bothered with all the mess of a manual machine and having to grind my own beans so I am SERIOUSLY looking at one of the Delonghi bean to cup machines. They can be had for between £200-300 on Amazon and come with a two year guarantee. The models I am looking at are the Magnifica and ETAM29.620.SB Autentica Plus, the latter which is reduced considerably and comes with £45 of extras.

You can even get an almost new Magnifica on Amazon for £150. I am convinced that both these machines will produce better coffee than my Lavasssa being Bean rather than pod machines. Might wait till black Friday.

The only other option I would consider is the Sage Pro model but after spending £300 on one of those I will still need another £150-£200 for a grinder and half my small kitchen work top taken up!

Just wanted to give a different perspective here.
    Last edited by jerrysimon; 4 Days Ago at 11:28.