Coffee Omega Rocket
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vesuvius: New owner, advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Talking Vesuvius: New owner, advice?

Hi guys. So the Vesuvius I ordered will finally arrive tomorrow. Can't wait! As there are quite a few owners here, I was wondering if you had any starters advice? What profiles to start with and grind settings? I've downloaded @ronsil's excel file and will have a play around. It's paired with a Niche grinder. I've got some sumatran dark roast beans from Wogan's in Bristol. Coming from a Gaggia classic, I'm expecting things to be quite different. Upgrades wise, I read about the knife foam tip and IMS Screen change. Worth doing straight away or wait? I hope it's alright to pester you guys with questions here. Very excited to start playing around with it once it gets here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Mine is standard and fine steaming is fine. maybe the Kees van Weston screen, not bothered me though
    WHY DO CROCS HAVE HOLE'S IN?

TO LET YOUR DIGNITY OUT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I think Ronsil had the knife , ask his advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Just a comment. I think you will enjoy the Vesuvius but be warned there is quite a lot to learn.

The steam blade I found great but why not start off with the 'status quo' then after a few months you will see for yourself what is needed for your own development. The blade is a very expensive tool & if you are only producing a few milk drinks it may well prove to be an un-neccesary expense.
    Enjoy your coffee journey.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)

The biggest plus you will see is from temperature stability and hopefully just making your coffee experience easier and more consistent.
    Stick to a simple profile, short pre infusion and 9 bar and get a tasty coffee first.
    Leave the steam arm, a knife is massively over priced.
    I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

First of all get a standard heavy duty 13 amp UK plug. The power lead is an EU one and you will have to cut off that and wire the UK one - 5 mins.
    I did get the KVW shower screen - not sure if its any improvement though.
    Profile wise I have a std 9 bar, a 9 bar with preinfusion, a 6 bar plus two lever style ones.
    My go to one is 14s 2Bar, the 5 secs each at 10,9,8,7,6 and 5 bar - total shot time 44s - 18g in 36g out
    To use the same grind on my L1 I use the lever profile but with PI 7sec at 2 bar instead .
    Can produce some excellent shots and as said before is very temp stable. The boiler offset is set at 13c which is spot on when I did a home made space test. Just make sure that all the defaults are set to DaveC’s excellent guide.
    Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso Grinders : Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

I'd suggest setting the temperature to 93 degrees then leaving it. I tend to flip between a 6 bar flat profile and a similar profile to Steve; 14s at 2 bar then 9 bar declining to 6. I'm generally using a ratio of 18 to 38 to 45. I use lighter roasts through an EK43. I tried the Niche but think ibprefer the EK from a flavour perspective. I need to get them side by side again before I conclude that comparison though.

I have the blade. I quite like it but I'm not sure it's any better than the 4 hole tip I use at work. Perhaps easier with small amounts of milk.
    Home: Ambient Vesuvius, Probat EK43 & Feldgind
    Work: La Spaziale S1 Mini II & Niche Zero

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)

Aww shucks!

It is very good temperature wise though....
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Unpacked and put on counter. Now to go through the manual. Will post pic of the setup once I've found a way to upload. It's gorgeous!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Ta da!!
    Last edited by sanadsaad; 06-11-18 at 11:07.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast