Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought refurbished SJ - things to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Just bought refurbished SJ - things to do?

Much to the displeasure of SWMBO, I just picked up a refurbished SJ on Ebay. Now, I haven't much of a clue what to check over and any first steps I should take now that it's arrived! All suggestions welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

Did the refurbishment state what had been done ? Is it clean ? Remove the hopper look down to see if there are coffee grounds in
    the burr chamber, take a sniff, does it smell clean or of stale oily coffee ?

Remove the screw in the flat surface of the adjustment collar, unscrew the collar completely and lift off.
    Lift out the upper burr carrier and examine the burr for obvious damage (or are they new burrs ?)
    Lift out the springs which support the upper carrier (just to be sure you do not lose them)
    Is the lower carrier and burr clean ? Is the chamber clean ? Does it smell fresh / stale / oily.

With the top carrier off, plug in and switch on machine, does it run smoothly and quietly ? NO rumbling or grinding noises ?

Photo's and feedback would help further response.

Thereare several articles on the forum about cleaning and working on S/Js, look at back posts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There's definitely a little bit of coffee in the doser; hopefully just from a test grind. I'll check those other things you mentioned and report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Clean it,
    clean the collar threads,
    grease the collar threads (this is absolutely imperative, get some Molykote food-safe grease, otherwise the collar gets increasingly difficult to budge).

That's all, initially.
    Then I'd highly recommend a detailed scale as the marks on the collar are really not close enough and aren't numbered so you have no reference.
    Oh and you might want to search on here for the lens hood mod, to blow out the retained grind.

"Coffee: The Good, The Bad, and The Ayurvedic Perspective"

Behave yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks @BaggaZee, I'll be doing the lens mod anyway as SWMBO requires it to be able to fit under the kitchen cupboards!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

Just to add, take. The burrs out, do they say mazzer on the back. If they are not genuine 033 swop for that are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Much to the displeasure of SWMBO, I just picked up a refurbished SJ on Ebay. Now, I haven't much of a clue what to check over and any first steps I should take now that it's arrived! All suggestions welcome.
    the arrival of the new pod machine at work
    http://captiongenerator.com/1157192/...achine-at-work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well, the burrs are definitely Mazzer, though one has what looks bit like rust from the screw on it.

The whole thing was pretty dirty; I’ve hoovered out as much as I can and will try to blow the rest out, but should I wash the burr carriers/doser? No-one ever seems to mention washing grinder parts, so maybe that’d be the wrong thing to do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)

the thing to use to wash components is pulycaf of cafiza - be aware that any aluminium pats should be cleaned quickly and not left to soak as they will discolour

you can just use a bit of washing up liquid with hot water but cafiza is designed for this - rinse off each component and dry it.

use a bit of grease in reassembly - but chapstick is ideal for the threads of the adjustment collar.

stripping it down as much as possible will help you get it fully clean- but don't lever out the burr carrier as you will damage it

cheers Jim
    the arrival of the new pod machine at work
    http://captiongenerator.com/1157192/...achine-at-work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)

@coffeechap would be a good resource for this.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks all. I got most of the doser parts out and have cleaned them with Puly Caff; going to take the chamber off next and clean the metal/Perspex/spring with a light solution of Puly Caff and a good rinse.

I’m too scared to take the lower burr carrier out! I’m going to clean any obvious stains with a food-safe Milton wipe, also leaving the adjustment collar well alone except for some grease on the threads.
    Last edited by Wildcat; 28-10-18 at 08:13.