Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Road to Roasting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Roast day late coffee break!
    says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" ' @jimbojohn55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Someone knows who this is for...
    says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" ' @jimbojohn55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

With the new harvest coming to a close* and our little storage emptying slowly, but steadily, I thought about securing a few more bags to keep up current supply. I'm new to this stuff, so got on the phone with importers to talk contracting. Seems easier that I thought it'd be...
    You specify quantity and time frame within which you can pull out reserved bags as you wish. Basically handles like your own external warehouse.
    Contract includes current price plus a very very small storage surcharge. While market prices may vary in the meantime, costs and availability are guaranteed - planning hooray!

As it looks like by now, we can't stock a year's worth of greens in a sensible way. So contracting appears to be a suitable workaround for the time being.

* Americas - first reports from field trips sound promising btw
    says Hasi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)

Just want to add to this thread. I started my first pack of beans from the man, the legend @Hasi. Iíll do a proper review once Iím dialled in correctly.

What I did find straight away is the packaging and label are perfect...

Little tip for anyone who hasnít noticed it yet
    Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, Compak e8, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joey24dirt View Post
    Just want to add to this thread. I started my first pack of beans from the man, the legend @Hasi. Iíll do a proper review once Iím dialled in correctly.

What I did find straight away is the packaging and label are perfect...

Little tip for anyone who hasnít noticed it yet
    Ace!
    Thanks Joey, great find

Now, erm, nervousness on the rise... a proper review that's the point of no return reached.
    says Hasi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
    Ace!
    Thanks Joey, great find

Now, erm, nervousness on the rise... a proper review that's the point of no return reached.
    It is, and after my spanking in the lever day thread, Iím going to be thorough

Nah all honesty, Iíve pulled one shot, which took waaayyy too long. 15g > 32g in about 60 seconds. These beans are darker than my norm. However...... I made a flat white and it was really tasty

So tomorrow Iíve got my mate over who is looking to get a home setup. Iíll get these dialled and have a little tasting session. Looking forward to it
    Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, Compak e8, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joey24dirt View Post
    It is, and after my spanking in the lever day thread, Iím going to be thorough

Nah all honesty, Iíve pulled one shot, which took waaayyy too long. 15g > 32g in about 60 seconds. These beans are darker than my norm. However...... I made a flat white and it was really tasty

So tomorrow Iíve got my mate over who is looking to get a home setup. Iíll get these dialled and have a little tasting session. Looking forward to it
    Haha, ok hit me!

So this is a washed typica out of La Berlina Estate in Boquete, Panama. Thank you for writing up your experience - it's thrilling to archive the unfiltered info within this thread
    Yep, they are a bit darker. Taste notes captured during sample roasting and profiling suggested to not go too light on these... toffee, creamy, praline, sweet. I'll try to work my way up the roast colour chart without pushing acidity too much. Wouldn't suit the mellow core, I believe. Also, it comes without a certain fruitiness to complement an increased acidity.

And I wanted to make sure you and @Snakehips and @MildredM have received the same roast profile so everybody can throw in an opinion?
    says Hasi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
    Haha, ok hit me!

So this is a washed typica out of La Berlina Estate in Boquete, Panama. Thank you for writing up your experience - it's thrilling to archive the unfiltered info within this thread
    Yep, they are a bit darker. Taste notes captured during sample roasting and profiling suggested to not go too light on these... toffee, creamy, praline, sweet. I'll try to work my way up the roast colour chart without pushing acidity too much. Wouldn't suit the mellow core, I believe. Also, it comes without a certain fruitiness to complement an increased acidity.

And I wanted to make sure you and @Snakehips and @MildredM have received the same roast profile so everybody can throw in an opinion?
    Thatís great. Iím always open to trying different things, and Iím glad I did. Iím just eager to get it dialled to where Iím used to so I can make sure Iím not missing anything. Need to try it as espresso too I dare say Iíll spend most of my day flying high tomorrow.

@SkateReclaimCreate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Ok, on with the news!

Today saw the first food regulatory examination. We're still in operation! but first things first...
    Guy called me while at work (not roasting but the other 9-5), saying he'd be in the area after lunch. So I was to check out, drive home and show him around.
    There weren't many things he pointed out:

- get lighting right: currently just unprotected bulbs (possible contamination upon breakage) for we couldn't hang permanent LEDs yet
    - get paper towels for hand wash (would have had single-use-then-machine-wash cotton towels, didn't help) @MildredM can you sew on paper as well?!
    - hand in product data sheets for packaging (EU regulation 1935/2004 conformity declaration)
    - get in touch with a certified lab for product tests
    - keep complete record of where our batch no.s went to and from which bag(s) they stemmed from (in case of a recall, esp. on part of a supplier)
    - clearly display best before date (roasted on +6 months doesn't count) - currently thinking hard about that...

So, that's a few things added to my todo-list. But at least guy and I were talking the same language, no hard feelings and such.
    says Hasi.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122