Coffee Omega Rocket
Page 130 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1353

Thread: The Niche Zero user experience

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob666 View Post
    I'm using the Pringles lid and it works to stop the bits flying under the lid. However, muppetry... the lid is near enough transparent and I have been know to dump a load of beans on top of it with consequences I leave to your imagination... Now looking for a coloured equivalent...
    Steal some nail polish from your significant other to decorate the top side?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ajohn View Post
    Looks like I can enjoy a 15g VST. IMS seem to have done the same thing

Attachment 38518

Argggggggggggg the 15 was sold as a 12 which is what I wanted.

John
    -
    Totally different shape to the 15g VST so your search continues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    Steal some nail polish from your significant other to decorate the top side?
    Ha, ha! Good idea!
    Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies everyone, a few useful suggestions, I'll have a play!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrboots2u View Post
    15g vst is a bitch, with any grinder. Especially at 9 bar....
    It will be a combination of distribution allied to the face that you are grinding alot finer, as the dose is less, there is less coffee, the coffee bed is less dense, therefore finer grind to create some flow and resistance. Finer you go, the harder it is to get more even in the basket and for the grinder to keep really even too. Lastly add the more surface area of the combined holes on a vst means = it's a bitch.
    Not much help I know, but hopefully gives you some perspective.
    That's useful info, thanks @Mrboots2u maybe I'll just put it in a non bottomless portafilter and forget about it haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use 15 g VST with Niche and LR.
    I grind, transfer the coffee to the portafilter with Funnel, then do WDT using Londinium DT.
    Perfect pour.
    Londinium R, Mythos 1, Niche Zero, Comandante

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    Totally different shape to the 15g VST so your search continues.
    I hadn't realised that. The 15g vst is along the same lines as many 14g baskets shape and perforation area wise. The Barista Pro are all similar and more straight sided.

Anyway the 15g on a DB might need 17g in it, the Sage double can work well with that amount of coffee in it. So wont be looking for a 15g VST.

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Robur,Ascaso I-1, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J
    Too many filter baskets - maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I finally cleaned the Niche straight after a shot, so thought I’d share some observations.

1. There was a lot of course grinds in the threads which might explain issues adjusting from coarse to fine.

2. The threads are greased! Be careful if you’re precious about getting grease on your brush and then other parts.

3. There are quite a few flakey bits below the burr.

4. The compacted grinds on the burr come off nicely using the side of a toothpick.

5. The burrs are made by Mazzer

6. Some grinds get stuck around the springs. Be careful they don’t go in the hole where the spring is seated or they could upset the spring level.

7. When putting everything back I went past the calibration mark by 3 setting marks, which shows some variation from before. I re-calibrated and amended all my records. For info, I was using a range of 12-17 for espresso. Now it’s 15-20.

8. I got something like 0.7 to 0.9g out of the bugger. Probably 1g with bits stuck in the brush.

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder
    2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2
    2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero
    Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Weirdly enough came here to write up my experiences of cleaning the Niche this morning - Richard and I are clearly in sync. Agree with pretty much everything above, though was actually a couple of setting marks the other side of the calibration mark. Will probably do a quick clean of the silver funnel more frequently to keep on top of the coarse grinds building up.

Super easy to clean! Glad I didn't take photos - now feel I wasn't quite as thorough as Richard!
    Profitec Pro 500 PID || Niche Zero || Feld2 || Acaia Lunar || V60 || Aeropress || Clever || French Press

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

One thing I'd add would be to dose up by two beans for the first shot after cleaning to counteract the first grind retention
    Profitec Pro 500 PID || Niche Zero || Feld2 || Acaia Lunar || V60 || Aeropress || Clever || French Press

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I cleaned mine for the first time since I got it the other day (shameful, I know, I just kept forgetting to order myself a socket set since moving away from home!). It had probably had 4-5kg through it, mostly light/medium beans, but the occasional 250g of dark CC stuff.

It was very satisfying taking it apart and cleaning it, but I’m surprised at how ‘dirty’ yours is! Mine wasn’t even close to that amount of build up... I wonder why that is? Oilier beans, more switching between brew types,...
    Sage Duo Temp Pro, Niche Zero
    Aergrind + Aeropress
    for travelling

Page 130 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast