Londinium Espresso
Page 1 of 182 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Niche Zero user experience

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)

Default The Niche Zero user experience

Lets start something that's not about, when is my grinder coming, interesting as it might be. How is everyone who has received their Niche Zero finding the grinder. Have you compared it against your existing grinder if you have one, has it helped the coffee making process, do we have some videos of your Niche in action and the shots it's producing. How are you finding the weight consistency out vs in etc..
    Last edited by DavecUK; 29-11-18 at 08:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

That's just like rubbing salt in the wound .....sorry couldn't resist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Good idea. I intend to compare with my Mythos when mine arrives so I’ll get some videos and feedback
    R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I like it. Had a mignon before and it is making tastier shots already. The only thing I need to get better at is distribution of the grinds after transferring from cup to portafilter. Need to experiment a little as hit and miss at the moment. Much quieter than the mignon and I think looks nicer too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just posted on the other thread so copied below -

Looks much nicer and neater in reality than previous photos and video also arrived incredibly well packed.

Three 18g lots through initially as per suggestions and used these to dial in ending up at 11 for Chatswood 10s pre at 2bar and slowish ramp to 9 to get 2.5:1 after 40 sec o/all. First drinking shot as good as any from E92 to date.

Very impressed and many thanks to all involved especially DaveC who has guided so many on this forum with his very objective reviews and ever helpful advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

It's tiny! Even in comparison with a 65e. And very pretty. It's also slow. I had to back the grind setting off to 25 to get 35g out from 18g in in 30 seconds with my current bean. It's more staticy than my 65e but the grind is excellent, even on brand new burrs, very even and VERY fluffy. The catch cup is all very well but I'm finding that the grinds are so fluffy it's difficult to trnsfer to the basket without making an unholy mess. Worth it in the cup though, I'm definitely getting more complex flavours even in milk. I'd still rather have a Mythos but I'll persist with this for a while before deciding whether the 65e or the Niche goes.
    Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)

To all new users, do not forget that this is a conical grinder and as such, produces a different range of flavours to a flat burr. If you haven't experienced conicals before, then realise that part of the new taste you are getting is down to that
     You never hear the bullet thats kills you 

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matharon View Post
    Just posted on the other thread so copied below -

Looks much nicer and neater in reality than previous photos and video also arrived incredibly well packed.

Three 18g lots through initially as per suggestions and used these to dial in ending up at 11 for Chatswood 10s pre at 2bar and slowish ramp to 9 to get 2.5:1 after 40 sec o/all. First drinking shot as good as any from E92 to date.

Very impressed and many thanks to all involved especially DaveC who has guided so many on this forum with his very objective reviews and ever helpful advice.
    That is good to hear. I'm also pitching it against the E92. It's the zero retention that will clinch it if it's on par taste-wise.
    La Spaziale S1, Ceado E92, Feldgrind. Niche. Work - Gaggia Classic and BTC.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lake_m View Post
    That is good to hear. I'm also pitching it against the E92. It's the zero retention that will clinch it if it's on par taste-wise.
    I found little if any difference between the Niche & my E92, just a lot less faffing about and more consistent dosing.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

How do I find it compared to the 'Franked' Versalab M3? Lot less faff.. Sure the M3 grinds directly into the pf but then you have to distribute the coffee, and the little volcano mound can make a bit of mess with removing the pf from the forks. The Niche however is just easy to use. Put beans in and switch on. The tumbler fits the pf very nicely. Turn it over, give it a shake, remove and a spin with an OCD thingy before tamping is all that you need.

Probably takes around the same time to grind as well (but you've got to gradually feed beans into the M3.) As for taste difference, I've not actually done a comparison yet as I'm still playing Also as Dfk says, although the M3 is a hybrid, the conicals are pre-breakers but still uses flats to finish. Forget the EK, they are a law unto themselves

In fact I don't think I'm actually interested in doing a comparison to see which one gives better results in the cup as they are all different and the results will only be subjective of preferred taste and how light/dark the roast is. I'm just really happy that I've now got a large conical in a compact body that doesn't take up much room without the worry of wasting a ton of coffee single dosing.

Plus when I go on holiday anywhere, I can pack the Niche and take a V60/Moka pot with me. Whereas the M3 weighs a ton, and the EK has its own postcode..
    Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche
    Output:
    KVdW Speedster
    + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Page 1 of 182 123451151101 ... LastLast