Adams and Russell
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Oracle Touch - problems with single cup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I had the oracle for about 4 months very pleased with in until it broke .
    I use about 1 kg every two weeks for caffeineated.. kept the beans in airscape containers and vacuum ones .
    I found I was tweaking the grind every day or so .. I also used wieght in weight out . I THINK your beans might have reached the point where they are out of date and will act a bit like your supermarket ones..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)

Beans wont be going off in the hopper after 5 days to the point where they are stale
    I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

@oracleuser
    Have a read through the forum/internet on how to store your beans once opened ..
    Lots of people freeze and vacuum bag them . Use airtight containers , recent interest in airscape containers.
    Also on the effects air , heat , moisture etc have on the beans. Then it’s over to you to make your own mind up. .
    Also read up on dialling in the grinder , I found it is a constant process . on the touch it should be the only thing you have to worry about .
    The oracle should be able to make repeatable nice drinks , mine did .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

@oracleuser .. If you do store your beans in the hopper, and generally if you haven’t used the grinder for a while , you should consider grinding a few grams out and disposing of them .. Or you will get older grinds that have been sitting in the burrs /chute etc mixed in with the fresh stuff that can effect the next shot ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

just for comparison - 250g of beans in the hopper every week and they don't get time to go stale! I am very lazy so most of the time when the beans run out I leave the grinder running for a bit rather than get the brush and clean it out. Once a month I will give it a decent clean though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I got my VST 15g today! Works great with the Oracle Touch!

First: The grinder has no problems to grind fine enough - set it down from 28 to 20.
    Second: In my opinion the coffee tastes much more balanced with less aftertaste and some kind of more sweet and less "harsh" with the VST - any explation? Maybe due to finder grind?
    Last edited by oracleuser; 13-11-18 at 09:23.
    Used machine: Oracle Touch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)

Good to hear! Not sure of the science behind it but the VST baskets do seem to be able to pull out some extra sweetness and flavour - although they can be fussy over grind and prep, so it's good to hear you're getting good results with it in the Oracle.

___
    Eat, drink and be merry
    Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

// Please remove
    Last edited by oracleuser; 14-11-18 at 03:13.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If it interests anybody:
    I switched finally back to the default basket. The VST worked well with one sort of beans with the oracle grinder, but produced bullshit with all others (watery result even on fine grind). don't know why, but i guess it's known that you need a very good grinder to fit all purposes with the VST and the oracle doesn't seem to deliver that in all situations