Bella Barista
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any Jam/jelly makers? Mine did not set!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks @MildredM for the videos! Really handy to see. I don't think mine really went that ferocious with the boil so thats good to see. I can see what you mean about the wrinkling too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

We've actually got some of the blackberries left in the freezer so might give it another go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by _shakeyjake_ View Post
    We've actually got some of the blackberries left in the freezer so might give it another go!
    Blackberry jam is good to make, pretty similar to rasp jam! Gentle simmer to cook them, add juice from 3 or 4 juicy lemons, add sugar with the heat really low until it has dissolved then up to a rolling boil. You should feel it thicken the same way as raspberry jam does then you can start testing for a set

Keep us updated! By January you will be making marmalade!!
    L-R / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Customised Pullman Big Step, Wenge Handle Lev Tamp, Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Ancap, Inker, Acme & Loveramics cups / Espazzola / Hottop / several embroidered bar towels / beans on the go from Foundry, The Barn & Curve / 6 gorgeous guinea pigs / a dog / a very lovely husband / and a snug shepherd’s hut

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MildredM View Post
    Blackberry jam is good to make, pretty similar to rasp jam! Gentle simmer to cook them, add juice from 3 or 4 juicy lemons, add sugar with the heat really low until it has dissolved then up to a rolling boil. You should feel it thicken the same way as raspberry jam does then you can start testing for a set

Keep us updated! By January you will be making marmalade!!
    Ooh not sure about marmalade, never been a fan of it. Though could do it as Christmas gifts...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Ooh not sure about marmalade, never been a fan of it. Though could do it as Christmas gifts...
    Unless you totally dislike the taste of oranges you may change you mind when you make it yourself, it’s a totally different kettle of fish to the bought stuff!
    L-R / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Customised Pullman Big Step, Wenge Handle Lev Tamp, Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Ancap, Inker, Acme & Loveramics cups / Espazzola / Hottop / several embroidered bar towels / beans on the go from Foundry, The Barn & Curve / 6 gorgeous guinea pigs / a dog / a very lovely husband / and a snug shepherd’s hut

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

And if you use a pressure cooker to cook the chopped peel you will achieve the most intense orange flavour.
    Strietman CT1, HG1, Kinu M47, Baratza Vario brew, Lido E, Breville DB, RB 58.5, Reneka Micro Sieve, VST

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Question: I have frozen blackberries. Can I cook these from frozen or do I need to defrost them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

I would put them in the pan with the lid on, heat on REALLY low and allow to slowly defrost then turn up the heat to cook through. They won’t take long to defrost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MildredM View Post
    I would put them in the pan with the lid on, heat on REALLY low and allow to slowly defrost then turn up the heat to cook through. They won’t take long to defrost.
    Ah cool. Might give that a go this evening. I think I’ve got about 1kg maybe a little less of blackberries. Would the juice of 3 or 4 lemons work for that quantity?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)

Ah cool. Might give that a go this evening. I think I’ve got about 1kg maybe a little less of blackberries. Would the juice of 3 or 4 lemons work for that quantity?
    Yes! Go for 3 if they are decent/juicy