Coffee Sensor

Thread: Super Jolly doser, do you use it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Super Jolly doser, do you use it?

Hi, I'm only doing several shots a day and I want my grinds to be as fresh as possible. Looking at my (manual) doser, it looks as though you need to grind quite a few beans to fill up all the compartments for it to then give out a consistent dose? At any one time there will be quite a lot of ground coffee sitting there and in the grinder outlet tunnel. I realised this whilst experimenting with the grind settings. At the moment I'm grinding a bit more than I need for the tests and pulling the doser lever back and forth a few times to fill the filter which doesn't seem right?

How do you all use the Mazzer doser for low volume fresh ground coffees, or do you just do away with it, extend the outlet spout etc? I also notice the grind delivery from the doser into the porta filter isn't perfect and I seem to get a bit of spillage to the sides.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have a Mazzer Mini doser which I use for decaf. I weigh out the amount of coffee I want and just grind that. I use a small paint brush to brush out the chute and doser as well as I can and find the retention is minimal.
    Sage DB, Mazzer Major, Mazzer Mini Doser (decaf), Orphan Espresso Lido 2 hand grinder (chemex)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I single dose with my Mini. It is quite easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

look at the clean sweep mods - shrink wrap one with a morrisons egg timer or carbon fibre nose cone mod makes it easier to single dose with a jolly

post 40 and 111 in this thread may help https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthrea...-refurb/page12

the trick with the jolly doser is not trying to use the doser mechanism in the conventional way as its only really designed for a busy coffee shop, better to remove half the central doser mech and pop 1/2 an egg timer or nose cone in it, just grind enough for 15g with a clean sweep mod pull the thwacker several times to get all the coffee out, another option is to single doseand just put 15g of beans through it at a time - buy some test tubes and weigh out 1-2 days worth of 15g 's etc
    Last edited by jimbojohn55; 16-09-18 at 06:32.
    the arrival of the new pod machine at work
    http://captiongenerator.com/1157192/...achine-at-work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I can see in a busy coffee shop with the bean hopper full to the brim the Jolly doser would be fine and do it's job. I'm probably going to remove the standard doser and do my own doser funnel mod. I've got a couple of ideas not tried before which I'll share when I get going. I aim to make it look smart and work well like the rest of the machine and not just a tacky add on bodge. I might eventually replace their clockwork timer with my own electronic version as I can see the switch going faulty with repeated use. For now, the doser funnel is the first priority and until then I'll just shuffle the stock doser lever about and brush down grind left in the chute as you suggested. Some have said the Jolly sprays ground coffee everywhere as it comes out the chute? Mine with new blades just seems to 'roll out the grind' into the doser like a landslide and I could probably leave the doser lid off.

I played around with the doser settings but it wasn't that good for me because I was only grinding small amounts and not filling up all the compartments. It was easier to just weigh out on a 50gm electronic mini scale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Go for the funnel mod(plus timer optional), much more convenient for home use.

BR
    ☕Gaggia☕Enthusiast☕

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

pimp my shelf octopus funnel - not that im one to blow my own funnel (thread) so to speak
    the arrival of the new pod machine at work
    http://captiongenerator.com/1157192/...achine-at-work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've moved forwards a bit now: I've done the funnel mod. but it leaves out something important: Due to some static build up still remaining there's a tendency for the grinds to exit the funnel at angles and stick to the outside. I found the ideal exit hole size to be 1 inch (25mm). I solved the static problem by adding an inverted 50mm stainless funnel. With some re-profiling I was able to cut off the exit spout and get a 25mm hole in the bottom. 50mm is about the size of a standard basket. I'm sure some expert will explain how the static gets killed with that exit profile, but I now get very little over spill. I also replaced the Mazzer porta filter rest with one I made from a piece of 3"X1" ali angle matching the funnel center to the porta filter.

Work is now in progress on my Super Jolly electronic doser control: With this I will be able to set an adjustable grinder 'on' time between 0.5 and 2 seconds with the same off time and a cycle repeating counter adjustable for 1 to 9 cycles. Using the same off period for each cycle should keep the grind cool. the Super Jolly uses a cap. start induction motor and you have to be careful how you switch it like this to maintain its long life. All will soon be good when I've built the circuit board.