Rave Coffee Roasters

Thread: Portafilter Stand for Scales

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Portafilter Stand for Scales

I'd like to buy a stand that will allow me to rest my portafilter on my scales so that I can accurately weigh the grinds. Something like this one from Decent Espresso:

https://decentespresso.com/portafilter_stand

But frankly, €33 seems a bit blooming steep for a simple bit of plastic, so does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives? Otherwise, if there are any 3D print fanatics out there looking to make a few quid, then I'd be very grateful for something like this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2808434

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I use a glass ramekin bowl for this purpose, admittedly not as pretty as the ludicrously expensive Decent Espresso one you've found, but it does the job. Roll on the proliferation of 3D printing.
    Vesuvius | Mazzer Super Jolly | This week I shall mostly be drinking ... Foundry - Rianjangi Peaberry, Kenya
    P1: 2 [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] ('lever profile')

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes, pretty is not as important as functional, so perhaps I can rig up something similar and do the job equally well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lump of sugru or air drying clay molded into a half sphere. Press your filter down onto it and make an exact imprint of it.

Let the silicone (sugru) or clay set, paint it... or don't

Edit: could even make a mould of it and cast a few in resin. Should be able to knock a few out for common filters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Speaking of ludicrously expensive...the acacia lunar comes with a rubber protection pad for the top work a 90 lip, to protect 1cm down the side.

If you tun the rubber pad upside down, it is just strong enough to support a naked PF for weighing.

It’s a superbly simply solution, the downside is the cost is a nudge more than Decent are charging, but they are exceptionally brilliant to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That's a nice idea, might well give that a go - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

I believe the Decent stand is actually metal fwiw.

Brewista also have some stl files for printing: https://www.mybrewista.com/products/portafilter-stand