Espazzola

Thread: Any memebers here from Scotland?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Any memebers here from Scotland?

Ok so want abit of advice please, my husband and I want to move to Scotland, but I am not really sure of what area to move to within Scotland.
    We want somewhere quiet not a large city like Glasgow, As I don't drive also needs to have good transport links and at least a local convenience shop, don't want a village with the nearest shop 10 miles away. Anybody suggest any nice areas?
    I am open to consider any location within Scotland, once I have an idea of which area I want I will then start looking for work within that area and relocate once I have found employment.

I was offered employment in Dumfries, it seemed an ok area but, I am now reconsidering that particular job offer, will probably be back to the drawing board.
    I have got a scheduled interview in Alness, will go for the interview and see how it goes. Anybody know anything about that area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

To what extent does your employment determine where you live, e.g. are you a teacher, in which case many areas would be OK? If you just need a 'critical mass' of population to provide employment, I would suggest checking out Orkney. It's a long way and would put a lot of people off for that reason but the transport links are excellent and it's a very interesting area, marvellous wildlife and archaeology.
    Vesuvius | Mazzer Super Jolly | This week I shall mostly be drinking ... Foundry - Rianjangi Peaberry, Kenya
    P1: 2 [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] ('lever profile')

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Banjoman View Post
    To what extent does your employment determine where you live, e.g. are you a teacher, in which case many areas would be OK? If you just need a 'critical mass' of population to provide employment, I would suggest checking out Orkney. It's a long way and would put a lot of people off for that reason but the transport links are excellent and it's a very interesting area, marvellous wildlife and archaeology.

Thankyou, I really appreciate your opinion I will most certainly research the Orkney area.
    I currently work in health and safety but kind of looking to move out that field and go back into management in retail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I think it will be difficult to find a quiet place with good transport links. Usually they are mutually exclusive.

Alness is a small place an on the face of it seems pleasant (never lived there but pass by on the way north frequently). It is close to Dingwall and perfectly commutable to Inverness (25 miles) and has a nice situation on the Cromarty firth. It has a Morrisons store. No idea about public transport but Dingwall will have train and bus connections to Inverness which supports a lot of employment.

Orkney is a very nice place to live (having lived there myself) but it is very windy and colder compared to the mainland. Everything is centred on Kirkwall and there is good transport between Kirwall and Stromness but outwith that not so good. I wouldn't live there without a car unless located in either Kirkwall or Stromness.

I live in a nice small town called Dollar situated between Stirling and Kinross with a Co-op, post office and a few independent shops. All banks in the area have now closed. The local council is doing its best to close every public facility it can - library now under threat. Transport is almost non existent. A bus to Stirling every 2 hours or more. Go 3 miles toward Stirling /Alloa and suddenly there is a good bus service. However from here you can commute by car or car then rail/bus to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth etc...

Good luck with your quest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

NB Edinburgh property prices are on a par with London prices.
    The Central Belt - West of Glasgow to East of Edinburgh - has decent transport & retail / leisure facilities.
    Perth / Perthshire may interest you : Perth is an ex-county town with decent all-round amenities. Surrounding countryside is spectacular.

Grab a Friday afternoon train to Edinburgh or Glasgow, hire a car for the weekend & drive around !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

NB Edinburgh property prices are on a par with London prices & Edinburgh Council hates cars.
    The Central Belt - West of Glasgow to East of Edinburgh - has decent transport & retail / leisure facilities.
    Perth / Perthshire may interest you : Perth is an ex-county town with decent all-round amenities. Surrounding countryside is spectacular.

Grab a Friday afternoon train to Edinburgh or Glasgow, hire a car for the weekend & drive around !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thankyou so much for all the replies, you have all been most helpful and given some very useful information to think over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Hi
    I stay in a town called Armadale. It is five minutes from the M8 motorway which links Edinburgh and Glasgow. The train station also has you in either Edinburgh and Glasgow in about 30 minutes. I never thought I would stay here but a lot of new houses, schools etc have just been built making a viable area for comuters.