Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Underextracted coffee, thin crema (Silvia/Mythos)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Probably a detail but my best results with Silvia specifically are connected with lower pressure than stock 10-11bar.
    9bar static works best for me.
    ☕Gaggia☕Enthusiast☕

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)

How long has the machine been on?
    If you are interested enough in coffer to invest in a Mythos then you need to pod the silva or change machine. The silva is a pig to get a take temp on.
    I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)

Bootie you lost me there, do you mean mod the Sylvia and stable temp?
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavecUK View Post
    Bootie you lost me there, do you mean mod the Sylvia and stable temp?
    Yeah sorry, pro grinder and machine with a 10 degree temp swing are not a great combo. So pid the silva or think about a change of machine.
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for the ideas, in the end it was the pump acting up after 9 years of service. Replaced with a new one with Aerotec's guide, good as new. And quieter!

On the topic of pairing a Mythos with the Silvia: of course I have a HX machine on the christmas list, but Santa needs to save up first. I replaced a Sage Smart Grinder Pro with the Mythos Plus (old, ugly, loud, not the Climapro we're talking about), a colleague of mine was selling it for £300 so it seemed like a no brainer. Needed some work, but it was a step forward. I won't PID the Silvia for 3-4 months, but I wanted to drink as good coffee as possible. We'll need a bigger kitchen though due to the 3kg hopper.

So again, thanks for the help folks, appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

You can cut the hopper down or even do away with (stick the hopper down and put something like a tube with weight in the opening to the throat)

Or you could make yourself cry and buy a short hopper for a third (ish) of what you paid for the grinder from Bella Barista (adding in the clump crusher as well, best approx £10 you will spend on a mythos)

As to the silvia PID will help but if you saving for another machine may just need to master temp surfing

All the above can be found by searching the forum

John
    Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 85Kg of greens - Tonino
    Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack - Acaia x2
    Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3
    Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex
    Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III
    and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I may have the same problem , I have a Sunbeam EM7000 and a Breville smart grinder . I have recently been using a Quality Espresso Q10 which was a great improvement over the smart grinder I had planned on keeping the Q10 but I got offered a price that I couldnt refuse so I ended up selling it.

Last week I came across a NS Mythos plus at a very good price from a cafe that had closed down it was supposed to have had a service and new burrs a few months ago.

But I am having problems pulling a decent shot , I was thinking the burrs where never changed and are worn out , but maybe it is a problem with the Coffee machine . But as the Q10 made great shots and the Mythos doesn't so I am a bit confused..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    328 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buderim View Post
    I think I may have the same problem , I have a Sunbeam EM7000 and a Breville smart grinder . I have recently been using a Quality Espresso Q10 which was a great improvement over the smart grinder I had planned on keeping the Q10 but I got offered a price that I couldnt refuse so I ended up selling it.

Last week I came across a NS Mythos plus at a very good price from a cafe that had closed down it was supposed to have had a service and new burrs a few months ago.

But I am having problems pulling a decent shot , I was thinking the burrs where never changed and are worn out , but maybe it is a problem with the Coffee machine . But as the Q10 made great shots and the Mythos doesn't so I am a bit confused..
    What do the burrs look like, feel like, whats the shot count on the grinder.
    Whats the problem with the shot? Bitter? Acidic?
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrboots2u View Post
    What do the burrs look like, feel like, whats the shot count on the grinder.
    Whats the problem with the shot? Bitter? Acidic?
    I didnt taste the shots , it looked like as if I had used stale pre-ground supermarket coffee just a watery mess . The burrs felt quite sharp they are the steel ones and have Eureka stamped on the side . The coffee was flying everywhere rather than in the portafilter .

I have been reading another thread and I am thinking there may have been a blockage which was stopping the coffee exiting the burrs properly , I have ordered a clump buster and I will give the grinding chamber a good clean and try again , I also have a 2nd Em7000 so I will try using that as well .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought I would update my progress . I bought the plastic clump crusher and cleaned the burrs and the grinding chamber and the shots are now how they should be . So I think there may have been a clog in the grinding chamber that was stopping the coffee exiting and it was getting ground to finely .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12