The Coffee Bean Van And Roaster
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxford lathe £400

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ajohn View Post
    Having done it these aren't too bad to move. Take the saddle, tailstock, head and drive unit off. The results are a lot easier to handle. The bolts that hold the head down are often a bit looser than they should be as it's a common way of moving them. A bent spanner helps undo and do them up properly. Don't ask why but I have a photo

Attachment 36070

A long spanner isn't a good idea.

Mine was bought back in a Passat estate in one piece but as usual one of the headstock bolts was a bit loose. I also needed to get it off to replace the headstock bearings mainly in my case because previous owners hadn't kept them adjusted. Mine hasn't seen much use. As they are proper lathes wear other than headstock bearings doesn't cause them much grief. Bed wear can cause them to turn a bit of a taper and the cross slides usually wear a bit so can't be adjusted perfectly. Interesting to see what similar problems cause on a Myford.

I wonder if Joey is going down the Chinese lathe route. The things are a minefield. I'll be sticking with my 70's boxford ME10.

John
    -
    That what I did to move it John. I stripped it all down and took it piece by piece. Even so still heavy. Plus thereís 25 steps up to my house and a half built extension to climb through hence the two strong people.
    Home - Nuova Simonelli Oscar (modified), Compak e8, IMS shower screen, IMS double basket, skateboard torr, Hauck tamper, MildredM towels 😊

Work rig - Aergrind, aeropress (rip latte locker) Camping stove

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojohn55 View Post
    A quality metal lathe, all the parts are available and they roll on for ever, If I was the other side of the country or had a van it would be in my bunker by now
    I wouldn't say they roll on for ever and Boxford have sold out of many parts but that lathe doesn't need any. The headstock bearings are standard parts, details can be found in the yahoo boxford group also I think on lathes.co.uk. Certain models may need a bit of a mod to the bearing covers. My ME10 is basically the same lathe but it has all of the features that they added to the underdrive models. That's mainly the style of power feed - it can be run up against a stop - do that on the earlier ones and "bang". They sold ME10's for a remarkable price until they ran out stock of some of the rear drive castings. ME stands for Model Engineer.

What makes them good is the design of the bed. In pristine condition they really are precision lathes and later take bed wear pretty well compared with other styles. Wear is something people have to put up with on used lathes. All I can say on that score is some designs really suffer as they wear. Myford is an excellent example. Boxfords have often been used as workshop lathes = usually less use than say something out of a toolroom which is likely to be bigger and even heavier anyway. Some have been used by what could be called home turners - they make batches of turned parts for companies. That does wear then out more - n days a week of continuous use. The fact that these people would buy them says something about the lathe.

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Mazzer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Projects Robur and Ascaso I-1 grinders
    More baskets than you could shake a stick at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)

Buuuump
    Home - Nuova Simonelli Oscar (modified), Compak e8, IMS shower screen, IMS double basket, skateboard torr, Hauck tamper, MildredM towels 😊

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

If only I had the space, this is ridiculously good value, especially when compared to a similarly priced cheaply-made thing that would be available from China.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyDClements View Post
    If only I had the space, this is ridiculously good value, especially when compared to a similarly priced cheaply-made thing that would be available from China.
    Iíll bump the price up then haha nah itís roughly what I paid for it so happy at that. I also need the space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)

Bump