Coffee Omega Rocket

Thread: Portafilter basket check and cleaning

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Default Portafilter basket check and cleaning

Time to get the basket out of the portafilter, hold it up to the light and have a peep through the holes. Are they all there, does it look as if a few didn't quite get all the way through during manufacturing, or does light come through every single one?....If it doesn't, get the old toothbrush out and a bit of washing up liquid, wet the brush a drop of WU Liquid and have a gentle circular scrub at the holes, gentle, because you want to keep the bristles straight (don't let em bend over) and little circles because it cleans better. keep going until all the holes are open and visible.

While you're about it don'e forget to get a small bottle brush down into the hole in the portafilter and across/into any dial spout if fitted.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I try to give mine a good clean every few days or more, same with under group head.
    Thanks

Lee. (R58 and Zenith 65e)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i guess I have ocd - everytime Im using the machine, Im cleaning it like crazy....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by icon_boy View Post
    i guess I have ocd - everytime Im using the machine, Im cleaning it like crazy....
    There be cleaning and there be cleaning.........When I was a kid I would clean my room every day, spend ages on it....My mum would come in and in 10 minutes could achieve more than I could in 1 hour. If you are cleaning like my mum used to, I am sure the bits that your coffee have touched are as clean as a surgeons scalpel.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I always wonder how much there still builds up in these holes - despite regular backflushing with cleaner pellets. Hasi does not approve.
    says Hasi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
    I always wonder how much there still builds up in these holes - despite regular backflushing with cleaner pellets. Hasi does not approve.
    Backflushing with cleaner pellets is a bit like throwing soapy water on your car, or placing dishes in a soap and water solution...it might clean a bit...but it's not enough. For coffee to taste at it's best, everything needs to be as clean as it can be.....when they talk about the 3 pillars of coffee, they forget a pyramid has 4 corners and stands for 4 thousand years or so. My 4th pillar would be cleanliness....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavecUK View Post
    Backflushing with cleaner pellets is a bit like throwing soapy water on your car, or placing dishes in a soap and water solution...it might clean a bit...but it's not enough. For coffee to taste at it's best, everything needs to be as clean as it can be.....when they talk about the 3 pillars of coffee, they forget a pyramid has 4 corners and stands for 4 thousand years or so. My 4th pillar would be cleanliness....
    Totally agree!
    Doing the toothbrush routine quite often as well - best to do after a chemical backflush
    says Hasi.