Bella Barista
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: delonghi dedica EC685

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From my experience with a De'Longhi KG79 grinder I had to pull a single-shot from a double-shot basket to get anything half-decent.

However, if your grinds are consistent enough for an espresso then using a non-pressurised basket may help; I fairly recently tried grinds from an SGP and it formed a proper puck, unlike the KG79 which just gave a loose basket of mess.

There are some non-pressurised baskets on eBay which will fit given some "gentle persuasion", otherwise you can get a replacement basket from the Delonghi spares site and drill a larger hole to stop it being pressurised.

The other thing to consider is not to run the shot until the machine single/double timer stops, but to watch the flow and stop it when it starts losing colour. That way you should avoid over-extraction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)

Please stop advertising your site @EspressoClinic.com

It's getting tedious now and members are reporting this...
    Advertise on Coffee Forums UK - spaces available now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xxb View Post
    I have had my dedica for a couple of months, its my first espresso machine. Even though its a system using pressurized baskets and designed to be pretty non fussy and suitable for a novice, I just cant get a decent tasting espresso!
    I have tried everything adjusting the grind size, pressure of the tamp changing the temperature settings etc but just cant get a shot that doesn't taste either bitter or sour. I always grind fresh with fresh beans with my grinder bodum bistro conical burr grinder, which I know isn't the best in the world but hey wanted a simple economical setup to practice with.
    I am beyond frustrated with this machine. anybody else have a dedica they manage to get a decent tasting shot from? I even purchased a bottomless portafiler and unpressurized baskets. I think it must be the temperature of the machine that's the problem its not hot enough but maybe I am wrong?

would love to hear others experience with this machine and how to manage to get anything decent tasting from it its even possible. Also I have seen many youtube videos of users steaming with just the black rubber piece and not the outer distributor tube of the panarillo wand, anybody here manage to do this when I try the black rubber piece just blows off with the pressure from the steam.
    I have an EC680 that is practically identical to yours and I must say that some tricks that have suggested you are correct. I have removed the funds for filter pressurization. Then check the temperature at the filter holder outlet (you can buy a digital thermometer with little on Amazon too) a good tamper a good mixture and with a proper grind you will surely get a decent espresso.