Coffee Sensor

Thread: delonghi dedica EC685

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default delonghi dedica EC685

I have had my dedica for a couple of months, its my first espresso machine. Even though its a system using pressurized baskets and designed to be pretty non fussy and suitable for a novice, I just cant get a decent tasting espresso!
    I have tried everything adjusting the grind size, pressure of the tamp changing the temperature settings etc but just cant get a shot that doesn't taste either bitter or sour. I always grind fresh with fresh beans with my grinder bodum bistro conical burr grinder, which I know isn't the best in the world but hey wanted a simple economical setup to practice with.
    I am beyond frustrated with this machine. anybody else have a dedica they manage to get a decent tasting shot from? I even purchased a bottomless portafiler and unpressurized baskets. I think it must be the temperature of the machine that's the problem its not hot enough but maybe I am wrong?

would love to hear others experience with this machine and how to manage to get anything decent tasting from it its even possible. Also I have seen many youtube videos of users steaming with just the black rubber piece and not the outer distributor tube of the panarillo wand, anybody here manage to do this when I try the black rubber piece just blows off with the pressure from the steam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)

I expect lots of Dedica EC685 owners will rush to your rescue.... (god I just can't help myself this week can I)

Do you use the best supermarket beans, those well known names like Illy and Taylors of Harrogate in the Bodum Bistro burr grinder, or do you order stuff on-line with a roasted date on them (hopefully roasted in the last 2 to 4 weeks)? I ask because with the equipment you have you need to give it the best possible chance of success that you can...this means using some pretty good beans.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavecUK View Post
    I expect lots of Dedica EC685 owners will rush to your rescue.... (god I just can't help myself this week can I)

Do you use the best supermarket beans, those well known names like Illy and Taylors of Harrogate in the Bodum Bistro burr grinder, or do you order stuff on-line with a roasted date on them (hopefully roasted in the last 2 to 4 weeks)? I ask because with the equipment you have you need to give it the best possible chance of success that you can...this means using some pretty good beans.
    I purchase from a local roaster, baileys coffee in Belfast. I know my current setup is isn't the most advanced, and will be upgrading in the next few weeks. I bought the dedica just to practice with before buying a more expensive machine. This was my first machine, most people don't purchase a Rocket right off the bat!
    Last edited by xxb; 19-07-18 at 09:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by louiseb View Post
    I purchase from a local roaster, baileys coffee in Belfast. I know my current setup is rubbish and will be upgrading in the next few weeks. I bought the dedica just to practice with before buying a more expensive machine. This was my first machine, most people don't purchase a Rocket right off the bat!
    As long as Baileys don't know what your using to grind and extract the coffee...it's all good. Thank god people don't run straight out and get a rocket.....that would be terrible. Hang around here for long enough and we can suggest lots of ways of spending your hard earned coin on a machine and grinder...perhaps more than you ever dreamed possible. Equally the Gaggia guys will be out in force to persuade you that that would be the next logical step.....enjoy the ride
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Dig deep it's a really big pit
    WHY DO CROCS HAVE HOLE'S IN?

TO LET YOUR DIGNITY OUT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavecUK View Post
    As long as Baileys don't know what your using to grind and extract the coffee...it's all good. Thank god people don't run straight out and get a rocket.....that would be terrible. Hang around here for long enough and we can suggest lots of ways of spending your hard earned coin on a machine and grinder...perhaps more than you ever dreamed possible. Equally the Gaggia guys will be out in force to persuade you that that would be the next logical step.....enjoy the ride
    What setup do you suggest? was looking at the sage barista express.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jony View Post
    Dig deep it's a really big pit
    What setup do you currently have? any suggestions for a decent machine and grinder combo for about £600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey mate I have the dedica as well, the steam tip will blow off on the newer model (685), you have to apply some sort of additional force around the base of the tip - rubber band, zip tie, washer etc. I had a small plastic tube thing that fit around and provided sufficient force but I know some guy had success with a zip tie.

I'm assuming you've moved on already, what did you end up with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Bit late to the party, but I'd 100% recommended replacing the steam wand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AOTa3bEpYM

It's a bit of diy but it'll improve you're steaming immeasurably.

I have the ec680 and I use a bottomless portafilter (cut the bottom off the handle and got a bottomless basket) but the main thing is to get a good grinder. You can easily get one on here in the for sales section, recommend a Eureka Mignion MKII. Second hand goes for £170-£190 and it'll be able to keep up with your rocket once you get it.
    Delonghi Dedica ec680 (Modded ) | Eureka Mignion MKII

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its all about coffee and adjustment.
    If you are using speciality coffee please make sure that water temperature is between 91-95 degree as well as temp of portafilter. Use right doses of coffee, naked portafilter doesn't affect on coffee taste that much, its more about grind and coffee quality. Dont keep beans in fridge or freezer, dont let them dry. Speciality beans should be used between 2-4 weeks after roast.

If you have any questions, feel free to msg us on forum or visit: https://espressoclinic.com