CoffeeHit
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 45 degrees

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default 45 degrees

    I took delivery of an LR this week and have been getting used to a slightly different process when compared to my Gaggia Classic.

    One of the things that I've been reading about is the lever 'catching' at about 45 degrees when you release it to pull the shot. My lever is catching at a lower point just above the horizontal (i.e. about 80 degrees from vertical). Is this something I should look to adjust and if so, how?

    I'm using a Londinium IMS basket dosed with 17g and getting first drip at about 6 seconds during preinfusion, then I release the lever and get 34g in about 28 seconds. So I think things are roughly in the right ball park in terms of dose, distribution and grind. Any help from the lever experts much appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

    Default

    You’re right on the money. The lever of the original L1 catches at 45 degrees when grind and preinfusion are just right. The LR is meant to catch around the horizontal; it accomplishes this by the rotary pump infusion allowing much higher preinfusion pressure than the boiler-only pressure of the L1. The advantage of a lower catch point is greater spring compression, which gives greater initial piston pressure on the pull.
    Matt
    Londinium 1, Monolith Flat, Pharos, Lido 3, Chemex, Gene Café, Atago Barista

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Darn saaaf
    Posts
    14,561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    564 Post(s)

    Default

    As mathoff abouve says your LR is functioning perfectly, the catch is much lower on the LR. What coffee are you using and how dark is it?
    Didi matloba

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Coffee compass mediterranean mocha

    I feel like the pour comes through a touch quickly once it starts but if I grind any finer I tend not to get any drips with the lever down - I have to lift it to start seeing anything in the cup.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

    Default

    What grinder are you using? Sounds like it's not allowing you to adjust in tiny increments. You should be seeing first drops at 6-10sec.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZappyAd View Post
    Coffee compass mediterranean mocha

    I feel like the pour comes through a touch quickly once it starts but if I grind any finer I tend not to get any drips with the lever down - I have to lift it to start seeing anything in the cup.
    LR - Ceado E37S; Baratza Preciso; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christos_geo View Post
    What grinder are you using? Sounds like it's not allowing you to adjust in tiny increments. You should be seeing first drops at 6-10sec.
    Eureka Olympus 75e

    I think it is more likely to be me than the grinder!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZappyAd View Post
    Eureka Olympus 75e

    I think it is more likely to be me than the grinder!
    Grinder is definitely more than capable I think try tweaking grind a whee bit at a time, and do not forget to purge well between grind settings, otherwise you'll be constantly chasing your tail.
    LR - Ceado E37S; Baratza Preciso; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    23,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    300 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZappyAd View Post
    I took delivery of an LR this week and have been getting used to a slightly different process when compared to my Gaggia Classic.

    One of the things that I've been reading about is the lever 'catching' at about 45 degrees when you release it to pull the shot. My lever is catching at a lower point just above the horizontal (i.e. about 80 degrees from vertical). Is this something I should look to adjust and if so, how?

    I'm using a Londinium IMS basket dosed with 17g and getting first drip at about 6 seconds during preinfusion, then I release the lever and get 34g in about 28 seconds. So I think things are roughly in the right ball park in terms of dose, distribution and grind. Any help from the lever experts much appreciated!
    How does it taste?
    #Beans not machines- all welcome - where we taste and swap beans
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/503036363197361/
    I wrote a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrboots2u View Post
    How does it taste?
    Pretty good. Very different to the Gaggia. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I can change (and how) to affect the taste.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Datgen Coffee Roasting Machines

Important Site Information


Google Analytics Alternative