The Coffee Bean Van And Roaster

Thread: Classic steam wand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Classic steam wand

Having finally bought a second hand classic (its a 39/2014 1200w, so not sure where that fits in with hierarchy of classic models) for £70. I have brewed my first latte and I'm not satisfied with the milk frothier due to the wand as we all know.

What are the options for upgrading, is there anything that will just fit on the end of the original one replacing the plastic part? That would seem to make thing so much easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Rancilio wand from the Silvia. It replaces the whole wand not just plastic part but is a simple swap

https://www.theespressoshop.co.uk/en...hoC6TMQAvD_BwE

Tutorial video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWoNXAq2Kus
    Gaggia Classic 2003 - IMS shower screen / IMS competition basket / PID / Rancilio Wand / OPV Mod / Sage Smart Pro Grinder
    On Order - Lelit Bianca & Niche

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Replacing the wand is a must. The difference is night and day.

The Silvia wand I got didnt quite fit but I got a metal file and filed the end of the wand and bingo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

I got a pre modified one with the correct nut already fitted when I did mine.
    I've seen a kit for a V3/4 silvia wand posted on the forum before which is better but more in depth to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

V2 Silvia wand is widely available and easily installed. Some kits even come with the correct nut.
    Im going to attempt the V3 swap. V3 with the ball joint is bulkier and longer and has different fittings so it's not a straight swap. That said I've bought a kit to assist with my V3 swap when I get a spare weekend.
    Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was looking at the V2 and V3, like the idea of the swivel joint on the V3 but being 10mm I was concerned whether there is enough power in the boiler to supply constant steam as its only a 1200W boiler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdenver View Post
    I was looking at the V2 and V3, like the idea of the swivel joint on the V3 but being 10mm I was concerned whether there is enough power in the boiler to supply constant steam as its only a 1200W boiler.
    It should be fine especially if you fit a PID or upgrade the steam thermostat to a 155°C one. The only difference between a 1200w boiler & a 1425w one is the 1200w will take marginally longer to get up to temperature. They'll both have the same steam power once there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How does the PID mod work please, ive found the link to the mod but not sure on its advantages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdenver View Post
    How does the PID mod work please, ive found the link to the mod but not sure on its advantages.
    The mechanical thermostats in the classic have quite a large deadband (several °C) between switching off when up to temp & switching back in again (they also degrade over time so it's worth replacing them if not fitting a PID). A PID will basically replace the stats & switch the element on & off much quicker in an attempt to keep the boiler at your chosen brew temp, removing the need to temp surf. Car cruise control uses a PID to give you an idea of how they work.
    While they're more important for the brew side of the circuit where temp is more critical to producing a repeatable good drink, it's handy to hook them up to the steam side too as it's only a tiny bit more circuitry & they're easier to adjust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys for all your help, I've ordered the V3 steam wand kit so will see how that goes, the PID will be next on the list.