The Coffee Bean Van And Roaster
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic steam wand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but on topic. I'm not exactly happy with my Rancillio wand (v1 or 2). Especially after a proper cleanup It's hard to get the right amount of microfoam somehow as I tend to overstretch it without even trying to do so. At work I use La Marzocco GS3 that has a magnificent steam wand with four holes. Obviously the rest of the machine is brilliant too and impacts the whole process, but I was wondering if there's a different nozzle or a wand I can put on my Gaggia to make it better.
    Presso: Gaggia Classic OG (OPV mod / Rancilio wand) + Iberital MC2
    Brew: V60/Aeropress/Moka Pot + Rhino

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I know you can get a V3 Rancillio wand which I plan to put on mine when I upgrade. Not sure if it gives you 'better' steam or more output over the V1/V2, but it looks better, easier to clean and operates on a swivel ball for extra movement.

You can also get a three hole tip for the V1/V2 wand you have, however from what I've heard they are not worth getting and actually could be worse as they'll empty the small Gaggia boiler pressure quicker.

I think the limiting factor is the Gaggia boiler and will never compare to the GS3 you use at work.
    -Stu-
    Gaggia Classic (2005) with PID, OPV at 9 bar // Aristarco EMA 80 grinder (Doserless modded) // 58mm ShineBlue tamper // 3 & 9 cup Moka pots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I’ve fitted the V3 wand and it works a treat on the Gaggia classic. I’ve also got the PID fitted and the steam temp is around 130deg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdenver View Post
    I’ve fitted the V3 wand and it works a treat on the Gaggia classic. I’ve also got the PID fitted and the steam temp is around 130deg.
    Unless you have a 25° offset that's not even close to the standard 145° stat & 155° ones can safely be fitted.