Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maybe I just don't like coffee...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrboots2u View Post
    In a dripper?
    My thoughts exactly! Another coffee with different flavour notes on the other hand might not be a bad idea. You might just not like Ethiopians.

RE. Water in first, it can help reduce silt blocking your filter paper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    My thoughts exactly! Another coffee with different flavour notes on the other hand might not be a bad idea. You might just not like Ethiopians.

RE. Water in first, it can help reduce silt blocking your filter paper.
    Yeah perhaps a decently roasted Brazillian
    #Beans not machines- all welcome - where we taste and swap beans
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/503036363197361/
    I wrote a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

the Kayon natural would be what I would call a 'challenging' coffee if you're not familiar with natural process ethiopians. It hardly resembles coffee in the traditional sense. I second the Brazil option. A medium to dark roast brazil may be more to OP's liking
    beans beans the musical fruit....

North of central UK--Within easy reach of York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    When I was in Rome last year I had some wondrous coffee at various cafes.
    When I was last in Paris I had coffee that was a little taste of heaven.
    Now back in England I seem unable to make a decent coffee.
    I've tried various methods such as drip (various), French press, aeropress, etc but for the the life of me I can't make a decent cup of coffee.
    It turns out either bitter, muddy or plain unpleasant.
    I tried various grind settings, temperatures, waters, beans, roastings, ratios, you name it - no luck.
    Maybe it's to do with the atmosphere of the place, the weather, the mood, who knows.
    I've spent a fair bit on equipment and it's all been a frustrating waste.
    So now I've given up.
    Oh how I'd love to join you coffee lovers but short of going abroad it seems it's not to be.
    I've had to revert to instant - believe me, to me that tastes far better than anything I ever made.
    Jon.
    One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavecUK View Post
    It's a verified fact (results of experiments) that mood, setting ambiance etc.. all play a huge part in our perception of taste. It's quite likely these influenced your views on what may have been merely mediocre. From reading the whole thread it sounds like you have never enjoyed any coffee you have made. That's OK. I absolutely love Brussels sprouts, my kids hate em. Here is another odd one. I like coffee...but I hate coffee flavoured things e.g. cakes desserts, chocolates etc..!

It's OK to not like coffee....not everyone does.
    Well, it turns out that I do love coffee, just not how I make it.
    Was in Cambridge today & visited Hot Numbers, an excellent little coffee shop.
    Had a pour over (Ethiopia - Warqee) which was superb followed by an Americano (Kenya Tano Ndogo).
    These people certainly know how to make coffee. Had a chat, learned a few things. They suggest I try a light roasted coffee so I've ordered some Ethiopia Kayon Mountain Natural & some Barundi Masha.
    Will see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Well, it turns out that I do love coffee, just not how I make it.
    Was in Cambridge today & visited Hot Numbers, an excellent little coffee shop.
    Had a pour over (Ethiopia - Warqee) which was superb followed by an Americano (Kenya Tano Ndogo).
    These people certainly know how to make coffee. Had a chat, learned a few things. They suggest I try a light roasted coffee so I've ordered some Ethiopia Kayon Mountain Natural & some Barundi Masha.
    Will see how it goes.
    Also if it's how you make it why not try a course, or meet up with members who brew the same way you do.
    ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: Just loads of stuff I forget I have.