The Coffee Bean Van And Roaster

Thread: Issue with Gaggia Classic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Issue with Gaggia Classic?

I recently got a Gaggia classic and it seems like the steam wand leaks quite a lot of water. My only point of comparison is an entry level DeLonghi machine which leaked a little bit of water initially but after that only steam came out. The Gaggia seems to be dripping continuously. Is this normal? I read that the steam wand on the Gaggia is not very good in general and I was going to replace it with a Rancilio Silvia one but if there's something wrong with the machine I have, I might not be able to replace it if I modify it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)

They often (to the extent of “usually”) drip - and the problem is with the actual valve and not the wand.

If you fit a Silvia wand then it’ll still drip - as you’re only hanging the final part of it - and not that actual valve.

You may have some luck in descaling - and running the descaler purely out of the steam wand, in a hope that that will remove or help with any scale issue in the valve seat. It might work, might not.

Only alternative thereafter is to replace the actual valve - which can be tricky on older machines but the valves are readily available.

I simply leave the wand tip hanging over the drip tray so that drips end up in the tray rather than all over the countertop.
    Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah
    However - Too much is never enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Steam valve is prone to this, the only thing it has inside is needle.

☕Gaggia☕Enthusiast☕

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrShades View Post
    They often (to the extent of “usually”) drip - and the problem is with the actual valve and not the wand.

You may have some luck in descaling - and running the descaler purely out of the steam wand, in a hope that that will remove or help with any scale issue in the valve seat. It might work, might not.
    Thank you for your reply. I should've said this is a brand new machine I got this week, so I would guess it's unlikely it's dripping because of limescale? If it's dripping from the beginning, could this indicate an issue with the machine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If it is the aluminum boiler type model then it can happen even if it is brand new. If it is the stainless steel boiler type then you should return it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat - about to descale to see if that helps. The new valve assembly for a pre-2015 costs £45 so that's a cue to do the mod described in the video. Looks like it would be an hour well spent. If you use bottled water there's as much wasted as is used with a bad drip, so twice the amount of empty bottles.

UPDATE: I descaled the machine thoroughly. Did it stop dropping? No. Did it drip less? Yes, so unless I modify the valve assembly looks like it's going to be drip, drip, drip, descale, drip drip....
    Last edited by les24preludes; 4 Days Ago at 04:07.
    Gaggia Classic, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Don't use bottled water in the machines, the calcium build up ruins the boiler. Only use tap or filtered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gaggiamanualservice.com View Post
    Don't use bottled water in the machines, the calcium build up ruins the boiler. Only use tap or filtered.
    Thanks for this, Mark. But can you expand? I'm following multiple threads on this site recommending Waitrose Lockills water. What do you know that all these threads don't? You're the Gaggia man. Is this a case of an aluminium boiler or what exactly? And what kind of "ruin" are we talking about and how long does it take? And how does regular descaling fit into the picture?

I've tried searching on this but I keep coming across contradictory information, e.g.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/231242

Given the link mentioned between aluminium and Alzheimers should I play safe and get a machine with a brass, copper or stainless boiler? Or is this overstating the risks? There again, copper seems to be another potential risk though the evidence is as controversial as that of aluminium

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23755037

Does this leave stainless as the desired material for boilers, as indeed the new Gaggia uses? Does anyone have answers that aren't contradictory or disputed?
    Last edited by les24preludes; 3 Days Ago at 12:21.
    Gaggia Classic, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper