Kruve Inc.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Quickmill 0835 Retrò

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

And there it is!

It took me longer than expected, but finding a suitable manometer bracket (as none was included), drilling and fiddling with the wastepipe gave me an extra hour...
    Tomorrow I shall brew some spros. Report will follow shortly!
    says Hasi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This is definitely going to improve the taste of your espresso!

Did you put the manometer before the OPV? If so you might consider changing things a bit so that you van read the pressure after the OPV has regulated the pressure. For now you only see the pressure generated by the pump.

I am following with intrest as I had a few simular machines before :-)
    Last edited by martinierius; 18-06-18 at 08:02.
    Carimali UNO || KINU M47,M68 || Aeropress || Feldgrind,aergrind || Mini Gaggia || ROK hand grinder || Chemex || Kalita 185 || Clever dripper
    Behmor 1600 PLUS, modded with beanprobe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hasi View Post
    And there it is!

It took me longer than expected, but finding a suitable manometer bracket (as none was included), drilling and fiddling with the wastepipe gave me an extra hour...
    Tomorrow I shall brew some spros. Report will follow shortly!
    We here did you find the clamp? Am short one too & was considering fabricating one when I make up a box to fit it to my tebe.

Also agree obout OPV. As I understand things, you may want to have it a bit further along than next to the pump too so it's vibes doesn't affect the gauge as much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Hey guys,
    thanks for your inputs!
    Had the same thoughts when putting the components together. Although, I came to the conclusion that a pressurised system always has to have the same pressure, no matter where you take measurements. Here, we're not talking about a jet nozzle that releases water into a non-pressurised volume. With an over-pressure valve, you rather redirect a partial stream like an overflow. Hence, in-line pressure should be equally shared. Also, with this setup resistance builds up from the other end - the portafilter. If you flush, you'll see not more than 2bar - only with a filled PF the pump really needs to get going.

I'm still giving another arrangement a try in due time. Especially because of aforementioned effect on the gauge. I've seen just that during my first tests. Maybe I need to insert a hose between pump and gauge to limit vibration transfer. Need - more - fittings*

* btw that was my real reason for this particular array: these were all the parts I had. Then thinking my way into an excuse to still execute it the other night
    Last edited by Hasi; 18-06-18 at 09:17.
    says Hasi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Oh and the clamp... I found it in a box in my workshop, where I keep spare fixing brackets/angles and all that jazz.
    I think it belonged to some sort of transport frame or other temporary structure something else was delivered in...?! Nothing dedicated or special.
    says Hasi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Where did you source the gauge and what's the dimension from the panel to the furthest part of the bracket?
    I'm interested in swapping my vibiemme one on my classic out for something with less depth at the rear and had hoped that these 'proud' style gauges occupy less space behind the panel...but your photo with the bracket seems to imply not....
    Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jj-x-ray View Post
    Where did you source the gauge and what's the dimension from the panel to the furthest part of the bracket?
    I'm interested in swapping my vibiemme one on my classic out for something with less depth at the rear and had hoped that these 'proud' style gauges occupy less space behind the panel...but your photo with the bracket seems to imply not....
    Got it through se Germans:
    https://www.espressoxxl.de/MANOMETER...RICK-VENUS-TEA

They have many different ones in stock, I was looking for the smallest (and blackest ) gauge at reasonable price...

Here you can see it sticks out half way, thus reducing required space on the inside. I'll take measurements once the new fittings arrive and my machine is disassembled again
    I'd reckon it extends around 20-25mm to the inside - telling from memory... but as tubing is attached to the rear end it might need another 20mm to properly form a radius on the capillary.
    says Hasi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

One week into brewing with lesser pressure...

a. Much more consistent results.
    aa. Hooray!
    aaa. Need to correct myself: grinder may not be that bad at outputting predictably even amounts. Or is it OPV ironing out some of the previous discrepancy...?

b. Pump audio has changed to a nicer, lower Hz sound output. A bit like equipping a Fiesta with a sports exhaust - doesn't make a difference but at least sounds more powerful

c. Yes, needle's bouncing quite a bit - so need to approximate mean deflection by rule of thumb for the time being. Going to overcome with what postie delivers, anytime soon. Let's see how pump sounds like then...

Although I don't recommend fiddling around with pressurised systems at home (think of what might go wrong if your construction fails), throwing in an OPV looks like a worthy mod for those who dare - at their own risk, obviously.
    says Hasi.