Tea and Coffee World Cup

Thread: grind volume

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default grind volume

ok stupid question #403

for different beans can you get a different volume of grind for the same input weight...?

I ask because I just finished my mystery kilo, where 18g would be brim full in my ims basket when levelling with my finger (i had to be careful not to accidentally sweep any overboard).
    Now Ive opened a new (rested) bag of BB milk buster and the same 18g input barely comes close to the brim, which actually makes levelling before tamping a problem. I dont think my scales have suddenly gone iffy, so is it possible that the new beans are somehow denser? IF not then something odd is going on.

I may as well add that im also failing miserably with the new bean.....almost choking the machine yet nothing but sour and quite thin too....

cheers
    Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jj-x-ray View Post
    ok stupid question #403

for different beans can you get a different volume of grind for the same input weight...?

I ask because I just finished my mystery kilo, where 18g would be brim full in my ims basket when levelling with my finger (i had to be careful not to accidentally sweep any overboard).
    Now Ive opened a new (rested) bag of BB milk buster and the same 18g input barely comes close to the brim, which actually makes levelling before tamping a problem. I dont think my scales have suddenly gone iffy, so is it possible that the new beans are somehow denser? IF not then something odd is going on.

I may as well add that im also failing miserably with the new bean.....almost choking the machine yet nothing but sour and quite thin too....

cheers
    Definitely a yes. Refer to numerous posts re 'dialling in'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Think it's the reason Matt Perger suggests fixing dose first when dialing in a recipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

It's also why IMS baskets are rated for a range, such as 18-22 grams
    The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.
    Portaspresso Rossa PG Air
    , Kinu M68, Feldgrind, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, joey24dirt tamper, MildredM's towels, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, Brita jug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I thought this was gona be about the loudness of the grind, can you turn it down like ha!
    Thanks

Lee. (R58 and Zenith 65e)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Ok so I'm not going mad cheers.
    May have to get one of those ocd tools though now 18g is under brim, my prep is not as good with this bean.
    This bean also seems incredibly sensitive to grind setting....barely a degree one way and it's a 60s almost choking pour.....barely a degree the other and it's a 20s gusher
    Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

May have to get one of those ocd tools though now 18g is under brim, my prep is not as good with this bean.
    This bean also seems incredibly sensitive to grind setting....barely a degree one way and it's a 60s almost choking pour.....barely a degree the other and it's a 20s gusher
    Try increasing your dose a bit to get a similar fill hight & adjust the output accordingly to hit the ratio you're after.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

Change your prep, there is no reason to have the dose up to/over the lip of the basket for flattening off. Grind dose into a cup, transfer to the PF and do a couple of downward then sideways taps. OCD type tool is a good idea, set it to the appropriate depth and you may not even need to tamp.

No bean is that sensitive to grind setting, you may be at the borderline of a usable grind/recipe. I don't doubt what you are saying is happening, but the bean itself is unlikely the cause.
    “Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    Think it's the reason Matt Perger suggests fixing dose first when dialing in a recipe.
    LOL Thanks for that. If anyone asks me about my workflow I'll post a link to that with a couple of notes.

1) What size basket to use and how much of a particular bean to get a nice puck that pops out cleanly. I can find something like a 10% variation in weight according to the bean that is being used.

2) This means I can not lock weight initially especially on a new bean that I have never used before. A new size of basket makes that aspect worse. it can take a lot of shots to find out what fill level it needs.

When that's out of the way then taste based on the notes for the bean and my preferences changing things just as the video suggests other than pushing things one way or the other to see what it does to taste and then honing in on what I want to produce.

John
    -
    In Use Sage DB, Sage Smart Grinder Pro, Mazzer Mini A. Others Sage BE, Piccino. Projects Doge and Ascaso I-1 grinders
    More baskets than you could shake a stick at.