Coffee Omega Rocket
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kombucha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Find a local pub that sells Grolsch or similar and ask them if you can have their empties. Otherwise look on eBay or Gumtree to find someone that’s either made Kombucha or home brew before that are offloading their stuff. That’s how I got my bottles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

I'd be keen to give it ago, but can you somehow lower the fizziness and still maintain the benefits of kombucha overall? I do quite like it based on black tea, but sometimes the fizzy factor is a bit too much.

Btw if you like other fermented foods head over to you Polish food section in your local supermarket or find a local Polish deli. Most should carry various makes of kefir (cheap), sauerkraut and pickled / half soured cucumbers. Londoners should google Mleczko, very well stocked Polish delis that sell loads of classics, including bread, kielbasa, pierogi, proper Polish cheesecake, smoked fish and pretty much anything else you'd normally find in Poland.

T.
    Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder
    Photography: Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post
    I'd be keen to give it ago, but can you somehow lower the fizziness and still maintain the benefits of kombucha overall? I do quite like it based on black tea, but sometimes the fizzy factor is a bit too much.

Btw if you like other fermented foods head over to you Polish food section in your local supermarket or find a local Polish deli. Most should carry various makes of kefir (cheap), sauerkraut and pickled / half soured cucumbers. Londoners should google Mleczko, very well stocked Polish delis that sell loads of classics, including bread, kielbasa, pierogi, proper Polish cheesecake, smoked fish and pretty much anything else you'd normally find in Poland.

T.
    If you're prepared to make kombucha, why not have a go with the kefir too (milk and/or water)...likely even cheaper than the cheap shop bought stuff?

The fizziness comes from the fermentation continuing in a sealed bottle. not sure about kombucha, but I assume like any fizzy bottling process the bottle is primed with a little sugar to encourage the sealed in fermentation which gives off the CO2 which is driven under pressure into solution in the liquid....maybe restrict the amount of priming sugar? And 'burp' the bottles to free the dissolved CO2 as it sits waiting for you to drink it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nopapercup View Post
    Find a local pub that sells Grolsch or similar and ask them if you can have their empties. Otherwise look on eBay or Gumtree to find someone that’s either made Kombucha or home brew before that are offloading their stuff. That’s how I got my bottles.
    Pubs used to send grolsch bottles back to the drinks distributor I think, they were not thrown out were they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dsc View Post

T.
    Mine isn't very fizzy unless I bottle it. Any fizz it does have dissipates within a day or so