Kruve Inc.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: First go with a bottomless

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

What cloughy said.
    you need consistent yet adjustable grind and a decent prep routine (distribution, leveling, tamping etc) to rid yourself of spurters
    Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps I should have been more specific - I use a local shop to grind beans for an espresso machine rather than buying off the shelf caffetiere (sp) ground coffee which is what my original statement suggested. Their machine does a grand job of making it fine enough, I know it will suffer in terms of freshness but I'm climbing the ladder one rung at a time.
    Would I be wise to buy a correct size tamper? I also finally know what the flat plastic blade on the other end of my coffee spoon is for. Thanks for that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laferret View Post
    Perhaps I should have been more specific - I use a local shop to grind beans for an espresso machine rather than buying off the shelf caffetiere (sp) ground coffee which is what my original statement suggested. Their machine does a grand job of making it fine enough, I know it will suffer in terms of freshness but I'm climbing the ladder one rung at a time.
    Would I be wise to buy a correct size tamper? I also finally know what the flat plastic blade on the other end of my coffee spoon is for. Thanks for that!
    Yes that will help, correct size tamper for the basket will reduce channeling
    Lelit Bianca PL162T / SGP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I just made my first shot with a bottomless PF. All went well - nice pour with no spritzing. Not a huge difference in taste because I clean my equipment frequently, but it really makes cleaning the top and the bottom of the basket simple for every shot. Well worth doing. I used a 44mm hole saw to make the hole, and the twin pourer on the bottom to centre the bit, held in a vice. An ordinary hand drill does the job at low revs with enough lube. Doesn't take long to drill brass.

So..... happy with this! It was very easy and I should have done it sooner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gaggia Classic, Gaggia Baby 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is a bottomless basket better? Is it because you have to tamp more evenly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyt2 View Post
    Makes it possible see if you've distributed/tamped properly plus it's good to watch!
    Lelit Bianca PL162T / SGP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyt2 View Post
    With a bottomless you can spot channeling instead of just guessing with a spouted portafilter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    With a bottomless you can spot channeling instead of just guessing with a spouted portafilter.
    Yes - it helps to assess you technique. So watch some YT videos, read about prep and all that. In my case I tamp in 2 stages - half way (softer) and then all the way. And as everyone says - it's also about the grind, which should be nice and fluffy without clumps. What I found is the bigger the burrs the more even the grind, so I'm up to 83mm now - that's just my own observation. Anyway, there are plenty of trained baristas on YT and elsewhere who share their expertise. I just work by trial and error.

But the other good reason for bottomless is it keeps everything completely clean. No hidden build-up of stale matter in the PF bottom or spout. You can see the basket top and bottom and wipe it clean each time. That's worth it by itself.
    Gaggia Classic, Gaggia Baby 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234