Kruve Inc.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grinder for budding coffee delivery service?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

My tongue in cheek post wasn't a pop at DaveC, just the light-hearted mood I was in at the time prompted by the mental image of 'for that reason' I'm out' . You won't find a more helpful and technically knowledgeable person than Dave and you won't know his many years of helping people with free advice, he will edify items he is passionate about and so on.

To be honest Steve (assuming that's your name) I would have answered the same. Forums are full of people who join, take and don't post again, ask questions and then don't come back, you know what I mean and we've all seen it across different hobbies of ours. Perhaps your limited knowledge means that when an experienced coffee person asks you what you are targeting (and there are a few on her) you don't realise they are doing so because the commercial grinders as explained to me can be capable of bagging ground coffee on a different scale to any of the prosumer grinders even the well-heeled enthusiasts buy, same with espresso machines, same with roasters.

You might have replied saying you don't want to publicly declare what you're targeting for competitive reasons and you'd happily discuss in PMs with DaveC or anyone else who you thought might help. It's not an unfriendly or unhelpful forum.
    Quickmill Verona, Ceado E37s, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, RO water
    (previous kit: Expobar Brewtus, Izzo Alex, Izzo Duetto, Pavoni, Macap MC4, Mazzer Mini E, iRoast, Hottop, Gene Cafe, Quest M3)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulL View Post
    You won't find a more helpful and technically knowledgeable person than Dave and you won't know his many years of helping people with free advice
    technically knowledgable, perhaps, though he didn't grace me with any tangible evidence to confirm this. as far as helpful goes, I have already found a few people on this thread who proved to be much more helpful than him, without the unnecessary bitterness and unjustified resent.

To be honest Steve (assuming that's your name) I would have answered the same. Forums are full of people who join, take and don't post again, ask questions and then don't come back, you know what I mean and we've all seen it across different hobbies of ours.
    I hear the point, but I think if a person's going to be possessive of their knowledge and use it as a way to demand access to information that --for whatever reason-- the other party is reluctant to share, then they should go write a book and charge people for their knowledge, not be hanging out on internet forums (where information is supposed to be freely exchanged with no expectation of compensation, whether monetary or in the form of information). I'm not angry with him, I just don't agree with the mentality. Personally, if by giving information away I can help someone in their life (without endangering my interests), I'll happily volunteer that information, and feel good I just helped someone out. For me, that's payment enough. I do feel the desire that the person I help will pay it forward, eventually, when it's their time to do so. Still, I personally do not make my assistance contingent on their proving this intention to me. I could see a particularly jaded person in this respect, having a bad day, demanding to know that the person he helps is indeed going to help out others, under the threat of inassistance (pretty sure I just made that word up, but you know what I mean..). I understand that perspective, but I don't agree with it, especially when it comes to internet forums.

You might have replied saying you don't want to publicly declare what you're targeting for competitive reasons and you'd happily discuss in PMs with DaveC or anyone else who you thought might help. It's not an unfriendly or unhelpful forum.
    I said clearly what kind of grinder I needed and for what purpose. My target market is consequently entirely irrelevant. His knowing that information doesn't help him or me in any way. So why should I discuss it, even in a PM? To satisfy his curiosity? revealing who my target market is could, potentially, endanger my interests, while recommendations for commercial grinders definitely does not endanger anyone's interests. Does not seem like a fair trade to me, especially since my target market is entirely irrelevant. To demand that trade under threat of non-cooperation seems to me to be borderline ridiculous.

I appreciate your assurance that it's not an unfriendly or unhelpful forum. I've seen that. I'm active in a few different internet forums and I'm aware how it goes in such things. some people have their sore points, others are pretty happy-go-lucky. Try not to take it personally.

I will store the memory of this thread as a reminder to try to be active on this forum and give back when I can. Hopefully I will have more to share as I gain in experience!

cheers,
    steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dfk41 View Post
    i understand but i am sure you know that once beans are ground, they are stale within an hour or so. you buy a packet of pre ground coffee from a supermarket, open it, smell it (once only then thats it i am afraid).......which is why anyone buying pre ground coffee probably does not know his arse from his elbow!
    true.. but even people who have arses for elbows need coffee!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coffeechap View Post
    Not as far as I have experienced. The 1203 is bomb proof and is good across the range of coarseness
    sounds to me like I should be looking for a ditting. Will post updates when the time is right. thanks for the input! cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibesteveb View Post
    technically knowledgable, perhaps, though he didn't grace me with any tangible evidence to confirm this. as far as helpful goes, I have already found a few people on this thread who proved to be much more helpful than him, without the unnecessary bitterness and unjustified resent.

I hear the point, but I think if a person's going to be possessive of their knowledge and use it as a way to demand access to information that --for whatever reason-- the other party is reluctant to share, then they should go write a book and charge people for their knowledge, not be hanging out on internet forums (where information is supposed to be freely exchanged with no expectation of compensation, whether monetary or in the form of information). I'm not angry with him, I just don't agree with the mentality. Personally, if by giving information away I can help someone in their life (without endangering my interests), I'll happily volunteer that information, and feel good I just helped someone out. For me, that's payment enough. I do feel the desire that the person I help will pay it forward, eventually, when it's their time to do so. Still, I personally do not make my assistance contingent on their proving this intention to me. I could see a particularly jaded person in this respect, having a bad day, demanding to know that the person he helps is indeed going to help out others, under the threat of inassistance (pretty sure I just made that word up, but you know what I mean..). I understand that perspective, but I don't agree with it, especially when it comes to internet forums.

I said clearly what kind of grinder I needed and for what purpose. My target market is consequently entirely irrelevant. His knowing that information doesn't help him or me in any way. So why should I discuss it, even in a PM? To satisfy his curiosity? revealing who my target market is could, potentially, endanger my interests, while recommendations for commercial grinders definitely does not endanger anyone's interests. Does not seem like a fair trade to me, especially since my target market is entirely irrelevant. To demand that trade under threat of non-cooperation seems to me to be borderline ridiculous.

I appreciate your assurance that it's not an unfriendly or unhelpful forum. I've seen that. I'm active in a few different internet forums and I'm aware how it goes in such things. some people have their sore points, others are pretty happy-go-lucky. Try not to take it personally.

I will store the memory of this thread as a reminder to try to be active on this forum and give back when I can. Hopefully I will have more to share as I gain in experience!

cheers,
    steve
    The best information you could give away for free is to kindly inform your customers they need their own grinder if they want a decent coffee. You could even stock a range to cater for different budgets & methods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    The best information you could give away for free is to kindly inform your customers they need their own grinder if they want a decent coffee. You could even stock a range to cater for different budgets & methods.
    lol good point!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

Hey, where can we buy your beans - are you in the UK?
    L-R / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Wilfa Svart / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Customised Pullman Big Step, Wenge Handle Lev Tamp, Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Ancap, Inker, Acme & Loveramics cups / Espazzola / Hottop / several embroidered bar towels / 2 gorgeous guinea pigs / a dog / a very lovely husband / something usually in the post / beans on the go from Foundry, The Barn & Curve and finally . . . and no time to play with the Busy Little Men as I am far too busy training for my Kalita Wave Level 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

If you are looking for Turkish coffee grinders, I would look at manufacturers such as Toper, Kuban, Altincag etc, basically manufacturers that specifically focus on this market.