Tea and Coffee World Cup

Thread: New Aeropress?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default New Aeropress?

I think I need a new Aeropress. Recently, when I start "the plunge", the air expels instantly so the plunger makes direct contact with the ground coffee. Anybody got any thoughts please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jez H View Post
    I think I need a new Aeropress. Recently, when I start "the plunge", the air expels instantly so the plunger makes direct contact with the ground coffee. Anybody got any thoughts please?
    The air's coming out the top? Think you can get replacement plungers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Default New Aeropress?

Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    The air's coming out the top? Think you can get replacement plungers.
    Jez - have you stored the aeropress with the plunger part inside the outer tube? If you have the chances are that the rubber plunger part has been compressed which then causes the air to escape as ashcroc described.
    Gaggia Classic, V60, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Wilfa Svart , Feldgrind Porlex Mini . Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Jez - have you stored the aeropress with the plunger part inside the outer tube? If you have the chances are that the rubber plunger part has been compressed which then causes the air to escape as ashcroc described.
    no I haven't Salty. It's reasonably new too, about 1 year old.
    I didn't know you could get new plungers Ash, thanks.
    I'm pressuming it will be compromising the taste of my coffee?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Using the old rubber will affect the taste, but only you can tell us how much and if it warrants a replacement. If the rubber lets out air, I assume it also leaks out the brew when the air is expunged, or are you done plunging at that point? A new rubber part shouldn't cost you too much, should you want to replace it.

The rubber should last longer. Are you making sure you plunge straight down and don't angle it? Some kind of damage or a part of the rubber being compressed over a period of time could put it out of shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyp View Post
    Using the old rubber will affect the taste, but only you can tell us how much and if it warrants a replacement. If the rubber lets out air, I assume it also leaks out the brew when the air is expunged, or are you done plunging at that point? A new rubber part shouldn't cost you too much, should you want to replace it.

The rubber should last longer. Are you making sure you plunge straight down and don't angle it? Some kind of damage or a part of the rubber being compressed over a period of time could put it out of shape.
    No, using it exactly as it should be. Always a "straight plunge" & never wash it with soap. I only brew 2-3 cups a day & thought it would have lasted a lot longer to be honest. My previous one lasted 2-3 years.