Tea and Coffee World Cup
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New Aeropress?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default New Aeropress?

    I think I need a new Aeropress. Recently, when I start "the plunge", the air expels instantly so the plunger makes direct contact with the ground coffee. Anybody got any thoughts please?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jez H View Post
    I think I need a new Aeropress. Recently, when I start "the plunge", the air expels instantly so the plunger makes direct contact with the ground coffee. Anybody got any thoughts please?
    The air's coming out the top? Think you can get replacement plungers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sidmouth
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Default New Aeropress?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashcroc View Post
    The air's coming out the top? Think you can get replacement plungers.
    Jez - have you stored the aeropress with the plunger part inside the outer tube? If you have the chances are that the rubber plunger part has been compressed which then causes the air to escape as ashcroc described.
    Gaggia Classic, V60, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Wilfa Svart , Feldgrind Porlex Mini . Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Jez - have you stored the aeropress with the plunger part inside the outer tube? If you have the chances are that the rubber plunger part has been compressed which then causes the air to escape as ashcroc described.
    no I haven't Salty. It's reasonably new too, about 1 year old.
    I didn't know you could get new plungers Ash, thanks.
    I'm pressuming it will be compromising the taste of my coffee?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Using the old rubber will affect the taste, but only you can tell us how much and if it warrants a replacement. If the rubber lets out air, I assume it also leaks out the brew when the air is expunged, or are you done plunging at that point? A new rubber part shouldn't cost you too much, should you want to replace it.

    The rubber should last longer. Are you making sure you plunge straight down and don't angle it? Some kind of damage or a part of the rubber being compressed over a period of time could put it out of shape.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyp View Post
    Using the old rubber will affect the taste, but only you can tell us how much and if it warrants a replacement. If the rubber lets out air, I assume it also leaks out the brew when the air is expunged, or are you done plunging at that point? A new rubber part shouldn't cost you too much, should you want to replace it.

    The rubber should last longer. Are you making sure you plunge straight down and don't angle it? Some kind of damage or a part of the rubber being compressed over a period of time could put it out of shape.
    No, using it exactly as it should be. Always a "straight plunge" & never wash it with soap. I only brew 2-3 cups a day & thought it would have lasted a lot longer to be honest. My previous one lasted 2-3 years.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Decent Espresso

Important Site Information


Google Analytics Alternative