Rave Coffee Roasters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tea selling UK regulations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Tea selling UK regulations

I'm new to the forum, and I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times, but perhaps you guys can help me get a few things clear or point me to the right place,

We want to purchase wholesale tea from a UK supplier, ready bagged, and repackage it under our name for resale, do we need to obtain any kind of food hygiene certifications before we start? I asked around and have been told as long as we don't handle the bagging ourselves, nothing is required.

Also, we found a couple of suppliers here in UK that we're looking to purchase a few samples from, but if anyone could make any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)

I would suggest you contact your local council, the environmental health department, and ask them to clarify the requirements. Then contact Trading Standards and check with them. Anything sold by weight is likely to require some kind of involvement with them, I would think.

An appropriate Food Hygiene course covers food handlin and storage procedures and is useful in any area of food handling. It is interesting and informative!

You will also need Piblic Liability insurance, I would think.
    L-R / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Customised Pullman Big Step, Wenge Handle Lev Tamp, Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme & Loveramics cups / Espazzola / Hottop / home embroidered bar towels / beans on the go from Foundry, The Barn & Square Mile / 6 gorgeous guinea pigs / a dog / a very lovely husband / a snug shepherd’s hut / and a well polished 10000 Club Badge!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    566 Post(s)

I've got a great contact who will be able to help you get started and will send their details through via PM.

Are you thinking mail order or physical sales?
    Advertise on Coffee Forums UK - spaces available now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you both for your help, I will contact all the above bodies to ensure I'm covered.

We are looking to create a brand of detox/cleansing tea, we're already nearly finished with designing the packaging and have already spoken with a supplier who supplies custom blends.

We will include milk thistle , dandelion root and lemongrass in the recipe due to their cleansing properties.

The supplier we contacted is Adagio, their teas though are a little expensive and their minimum wholesale purchase is 1 KG, which is a little too much to start with and is supplied loose.

The TeaPeople also supply wholesale, would look at those nut their offer is more limited

I will get in touch with your contact, Glenn, I looked them up online, I'm wondering if he could help me with getting a few things right such as

Blending the right ingredients ( some detox teas taste awful ) and finding a packaging supplier.

Marketing and eCommerce I can do myself, I need to get the product just right.

Thanks again and if you wish, I'll keep you guys posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    Thank you both for your help, I will contact all the above bodies to ensure I'm covered.

We are looking to create a brand of detox/cleansing tea, we're already nearly finished with designing the packaging and have already spoken with a supplier who supplies custom blends.

We will include milk thistle , dandelion root and lemongrass in the recipe due to their cleansing properties.

The supplier we contacted is Adagio, their teas though are a little expensive and their minimum wholesale purchase is 1 KG, which is a little too much to start with and is supplied loose.

The TeaPeople also supply wholesale, would look at those nut their offer is more limited

I will get in touch with your contact, Glenn, I looked them up online, I'm wondering if he could help me with getting a few things right such as

Blending the right ingredients ( some detox teas taste awful ) and finding a packaging supplier.

Marketing and eCommerce I can do myself, I need to get the product just right.

Thanks again and if you wish, I'll keep you guys posted.
    Not wishing to rock the boat here, but if you want to get the product right don't sell a detox tea.

At best detoxing is pseudoscience, at worst downright dangerous to be promoting as in any way healthy.
    Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I've got a great contact who will be able to help you get started and will send their details through via PM.

Jumping on the back of this to avoid starting a new thread. I'd appreciate your contact info, Glenn. My husband and I are also looking into a tea ecommerce company, different to what you're looking at Julian87 with the detox. I'm also struggling to find much sound information on regulations if you're re-packaging. Did you find any information out about that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Hi Glenn, I'm creating a brand of luxury loose leaf teas to sell online. Would love to have the details of your contact, if they don't mind having a chat with me.
    Thanks
    Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)

@Glenn ^^
    L-R / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Customised Pullman Big Step, Wenge Handle Lev Tamp, Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme & Loveramics cups / Espazzola / Hottop / home embroidered bar towels / beans on the go from Foundry, The Barn & Square Mile / 6 gorgeous guinea pigs / a dog / a very lovely husband / a snug shepherd’s hut / and a well polished 10000 Club Badge!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    566 Post(s)

Drop me a PM with a number to call you on
    Advertise on Coffee Forums UK - spaces available now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post List out the regulation required

Quote Originally Posted by Wuji-Sam View Post
    Hi Glenn, I'm creating a brand of luxury loose leaf teas to sell online. Would love to have the details of your contact, if they don't mind having a chat with me.
    Thanks
    Sam
    I am also in same boat, planning to import tea from Nepal, and repacking and resale over here. I found NepalÂ’s tea (next to Darjeeling region) one of the best tea I have ever tasted. I am wondering how the regulations is working over here in UK. Can anybody have more ideas from scratch to set up the warehouse. Appreciate your help.
    I can be reach on [email protected] or 07534086859 on mobile/whatsapp.