CoffeeHit
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Dalian Amazon Experiences

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Always found this one difficult, you want beans which roast similarly and also grind similarly leaving you to choose beans which don't give you the complimentary flavours you seek e.g. I would not roast Brazilian and Ethiopian together or grind together.
    Quickmill Verona, Ceado E37s, Dalian Amazon & assorted greans, RO water

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Egham, UK
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Hi. Just wondered if anyone else was having a problem with the exhaust hose supplied with their roaster? Mine has come apart now twice - at the end where it clamps onto the fan unit. It seems to be nothing more than heat-proof tape wound around the wire core - and the tape seems to pull apart of its own accord when subject to heat! Is anyone using better quality ducting which is up to the job? I have a length of aluminium a/c ducting attached to the other end just so it reaches the doorway - but not sure if will stand up to higher temperatures closer to the exhaust fan. Any thoughts or ideas most welcome. Thanks
    Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon, Behmor 1600plus

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Egham, UK
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    An update on my progress in learning to roast better; I posted earlier about my experiences with uneven roasting and scorched beans ... well the beans i were using were Brazil Santos. After moving on to some PNG and Colombian beans - which gave awesome results - I went back to apply my improved roasting techniques to the Santos. Result - terrible! Still unevenness in the result. These were cheap beans - and i think i can see why! Interestingly, the PNG lot were around the same price and have roasted far better (and also taste good in the cup!). I guess it is a lesson in the varying quality of region, variety, and processing. So much to learn ... so little time!!!!!
    Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon, Behmor 1600plus

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RDC8 View Post
    Hi. Just wondered if anyone else was having a problem with the exhaust hose supplied with their roaster? Mine has come apart now twice - at the end where it clamps onto the fan unit. It seems to be nothing more than heat-proof tape wound around the wire core - and the tape seems to pull apart of its own accord when subject to heat! Is anyone using better quality ducting which is up to the job? I have a length of aluminium a/c ducting attached to the other end just so it reaches the doorway - but not sure if will stand up to higher temperatures closer to the exhaust fan. Any thoughts or ideas most welcome. Thanks
    Yes, I had the same problem. Its pretty flimsy. I got aluminium ducting from Wickes. A lot more sturdy. You'll have to fold over the end to make the tube smaller.

    http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Round...-x-4m/p/713024

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Byfleet, Surrey
    Posts
    3,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by titanium View Post
    Yes, I had the same problem. Its pretty flimsy. I got aluminium ducting from Wickes. A lot more sturdy. You'll have to fold over the end to make the tube smaller.

    http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Round...-x-4m/p/713024
    I think I may use 125mm ducting, but I fold the edge over like you.. A bit of garden wire around the ducting and a bent bit makes a useful clip around one of the chaff collector fan bots to clip it into position, as i remove it after I have finished roasting. The Al stands up to the heat no problem, it has a melting point of 660C and the exhaust of the Dalian gets nowhere near that temperature. It's probably around 140C, even logic tells us it's impossible for it to be much above 210C.
    Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB BTC Machines: Melitta Caffeo varianza and Caffeo Barista TS Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: Grinders: Ceado E92: 145kg assorted greens::

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Egham, UK
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Thanks for the advice. I will swap around the aluminium ducting so it connects to the roaster's exhaust vent.
    Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon, Behmor 1600plus

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Byfleet, Surrey
    Posts
    3,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)

    Default

    Well for anyone reading this thread, I did put together a training course for roasting on the Dalian as mentioned at the beginning of the thread for the two guys having problems. This was because a 3rd person contacted me my e-mail asking if I could do one after reading this thread. I wrote to the two guys in this thread as well with the details., but after a few weeks, I only heard from that 3rd guy who wanted a course and asked me to run it just for him. He was more than willing to cover the entire 3 person fee.

    If I feel it goes well and I feel it's something I want (can be bothered) to do and the other person feels it's really of value. Then I may well formalise it for other Dalian Amazon purchasers, simply because it's commercial roaster and requires more skill than simply pushing a button (or sharing a profile with other learners) to get the best from it.
    Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB BTC Machines: Melitta Caffeo varianza and Caffeo Barista TS Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: Grinders: Ceado E92: 145kg assorted greens::

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    I did the 1-day course with Dave on Saturday. To say it was worth it is a huge understatement. First of all it's a 2-3 day course in one. Prior to Saturday I had done one with a respectable roastery in London's East End and not only was it less hands on, it covered about 20% of the topics we did on Saturday. Anyone who has the Dalian would gain an awful lot by doing this course. And it's a stupid amount of value for the money. Now, my roasting experience is limited but I feel I learned an awful lot, not only about roasting but what happens inside the bean when it's roasted. Dave can go to as much detail as you want on the chemistry etc. And I feel in charge now, confident in approaching a new bean, controlling the roasts and replicating a roast (i didn't think it was possible to that degree of accuracy, makes you wonder why people use software). Bottom line is, if you've got a Dalian, you should seriously consider doing this course.

    I've got no business interest in this and met Dave for the first time ever on Saturday. The reason I am posting this is because all Dalian owners should now it's available (Given Dave decides he wants to keep doing it going forward).

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Egham, UK
    Posts
    109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    So here i am, asking a question as i dont know what i dont know! I think I need to lower the two temperature controllers but thought I should run this past the experts first. Why do I think this? After putting through about 20 roasts of different beans and in different ambient conditions in the last few months, I am finding that I am mostly hitting 1st crack at around 180 degrees (Bean Temp) - sometimes as high as 185, but certainly well before the default setting of 195. So I am planning to lower both controllers by 5 degrees so that I can better control the ROR after first crack. (I also use the dampers to control but with the heating elements still on full power it is difficult to slow, therefore am thinking a lower max temp would also help with controlling ROR).

    Is my thinking correct?
    Should I lower the max temp even further?

    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon, Behmor 1600plus

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Byfleet, Surrey
    Posts
    3,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RDC8 View Post
    So here i am, asking a question as i dont know what i dont know! I think I need to lower the two temperature controllers but thought I should run this past the experts first. Why do I think this? After putting through about 20 roasts of different beans and in different ambient conditions in the last few months, I am finding that I am mostly hitting 1st crack at around 180 degrees (Bean Temp) - sometimes as high as 185, but certainly well before the default setting of 195. So I am planning to lower both controllers by 5 degrees so that I can better control the ROR after first crack. (I also use the dampers to control but with the heating elements still on full power it is difficult to slow, therefore am thinking a lower max temp would also help with controlling ROR).

    Is my thinking correct?
    Should I lower the max temp even further? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks


    • What weight of beans are you roasting,
    • What is your mains voltage
    • What is the power draw of your roaster
    • What beans are you roasting
    • How long to 1st crack
    • Gap between 1st beginning and 2nd
    • Total roast time.
    • What exactly are you doing with air flow during the roast.
    • level of roast (dark medium light etc..)


    I can't actually be bothered to write any more questions, except to say if you were trying to keep everything you were doing a secret, you would win 1st prize. Without some actual information, any advice is meaningless. Why not post up some roast logs
    Last edited by DavecUK; 08-08-17 at 06:20.
    Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB BTC Machines: Melitta Caffeo varianza and Caffeo Barista TS Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: Grinders: Ceado E92: 145kg assorted greens::

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hill Top Brews

Important Site Information


Google Analytics Alternative