Happy Donkey
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dalian Amazon Experiences

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

ok - clearly one of the things i didnt know that i didnt know was the need to provide more information. Below are my last two (handwritten) logs - hope they make sense. oh - these were two back-to-back roasts

Scan_20170808.jpgScan_20170808 (2).jpg

Note: the numbers in the Damper columns refer to the damper position, and the time at which they were moved to that position.

Voltage tends to be 238 to 241. Wattage draw between 2350 and 2410. I havent done the power mod.

I dont roast to 2nd crack.

Does this all help?
    Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon, Behmor 1600plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

Well you certainly win the price for the smallest most illegible images you could post ...obviously don't want to make it easy for me.

Before you do anything check that the controllers have no offsets or anything in them and are set up as I specified, this information should be in the documentation supplied with the roaster by BB.

• Set roaster temp to 193 max and try values of 191 to 193 for different beans. leave the other one alone.
    • All thermometry may not read exactly the same 185 on yours might be my 190 or someone elses 187 etc...it's normal for roasters to have some variance
    • Anticipate the roast more, don't wait until it's happening to apply air...it's too late by then.

e.g. batch 7, you might start with cooling air at 2 and increase it BEFORE hand to slow it down. At 5 minutes (152) you knew you were rising at 6C per minute with 1st likely at 180 ish, but you waited 3 more minutes to start pulling extra air. This would have been fine if you wanted 1st at around 9m:50s. I would have been pulling extra air at the 5 minute mark or before as I calculate (in my head) the ROR in 20s intervals. When you moved the damper from 2 to 6 it was far too late.

The main problem with roasting is in failing anticipate. There are lots of clues with the roaster to tell you if it's going to fast...as experience has already told you the approximate temperature for your roaster where 1st crack begins. it can come at a slightly lower temperature when you force the roasts, so you might find slowing the roast down also brings 1st crack at a slightly higher temperature.

I may decide to run roasting courses on the roaster, still thinking about it after my test training session with @tuomI....if I do you might get some value from attending one.....
    Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB BTC Machines: Melitta Caffeo varianza and Caffeo Barista TS Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: Grinders: Ceado E92: 145kg assorted greens::

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

RDC8, if you have time and get a chance to do a sess with Dave go for it, it'll open your eyes (at least it opened mine). With my limited (should really read 'no') experience I've noticed one shouldn't don't worry about hitting first at 195/185 or whatever temp anyone else tells you (Mine sits at, bean mass temp, 172-173 and 175-176 respectively for two beans I am currently roasting). Once you know your 1st crack temp for a certain bean play with the airflow and taste the results. This is the key i found (am still finding):

Davec - "The main problem with roasting is in failing anticipate"

Bar a couple of early horrors... the roasts on the Dalian have tasted great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Wahoo - looks like i am a roll here. Two prizes in a week from @DavecUK !!! Perhaps i need to buy a lottery ticket to complete the hat-trick

Anyway - i guess my main fear has been stalling the roast and therefore have not been opening the dampers too early. However, it seems i am being overcautious and will see what happens with the next few roasts when i start to increase air-low earlier.

These later roasts are much better than my earlier attempts - you dont want to see the logs from before starting the batch numbers!!! No total disasters, but definitely in the "could do better category".
    @tuomI - did you lower your temperature controllers given that you are hitting 1st crack well before the default setting? or have you left them alone?
    Espresso:Rocket Cellini Evo, La Pavoni Europiccola , Grinder: Eureka Mignon,Ceado e37s Roaster: Dalian Amazon, Behmor 1600plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

I will just add that if your sure 1st pretty much starts at temp x on your roaster set the roast temp controller to that value e.g. if 1st always starts at 185, set it to 185 and play around from there....but always leave the other one alone.

There are ways I use the other t type controller when roasting, but that's far more advanced stuff and tells me a little about the effect I'm having with airflow during 1st...which can be fairly important for more nuanced roasting.
    Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB BTC Machines: Melitta Caffeo varianza and Caffeo Barista TS Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: Grinders: Ceado E92: 145kg assorted greens::

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

RDC8, no I didn't change the temp setting, but I'll do that now as per Dave's suggestion. It'll probably be the last (for now.............) missing piece in getting to know the Dalian, always felt the roaster was a little too hot (having the roasting temp controller at 193-195)) for a first at 170-175.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've now done a couple of roasting sessions with the roast temp at 175c(as that's my fc temp, or thereabouts) and it's working. I'd say now the roaster works as per the descriptions/roasting aides in the manuals. I am having to pull a lot less air through to slow down the roast, get a nice ror curve and duplicating a roast is not an issue. very pleased.