Horsham Coffee Roasters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Bulletproof Coffee Good For You?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    UPDATE:

Turns out the food triangle is upside down. Traditionally people would have eaten a lot more healthy fat and a lot less carbohydrate (processed crap). Diabetes, obesity, cancer and heart disease are not things that naturally happen to people as they get older. As part of a high fat, LOW CARBOHYDRATE diet, I see no problem with a dollop of butter and MCT/coconut oil. Those are healthy fats (ideally butter should be grass-fed).

There is a tiny minority of people with a genetic defect which means that they are not able to well-metabolise high amounts of fat, but that's an anomaly.

Healthy fats include animal fats, full-fat dairy (grass-fed), avocados, coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil, omega-3s (seafood, certain nuts and seeds and decent grass-fed beef). Due to the way vegetable oils are chemically extracted, they should be avoided at all cost. Before about 1910 nobody had heard of vegetable oil! There is growing evidence that vegetable oils cause various cancers along with a myriad of other problems.

It must be stressed that it's no good having high fat and high carbohydrate, that's probably worse than high carb - low fat. i.e. Don't go down a bulletproof coffee with 4 sugars, a slice of white toast and a bowl of cereal!

I've been on a high fat, low carb (I would estimate between 40 and 100g carbohydrate a day, I've not been very strict) diet for about a month, have eaten as much as I want, and have lost 2-3 kilos. Also I've not suffered energy lows in the afternoon/evening as I often would. If you can keep your carb intake below around 50g per day you'll go ketogenic and lose even more weight (losing virtually zero muscle).

In short, take the advice that "professionals" have been giving us for around the last 6 decades and do the opposite!

See:

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/
    So true. I cut out carbs for 10 weeks, I lost a KG a week I wasn't hungry either like I normally am. You can eat so much more if you cut out carbs. I believe the current consensus is 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass (take away the weight of fat" then have the same amount of fats (From nuts, butter, coconut oil fish) then that should leave you with a little bit of RDA calories left, fill those with a measly amount of carbs. However, that is for a very active individual, its a lot of fat in my head so may be wrong.

To me, fats are healthier than carbs. Carbs spike blood sugar fats taste good. Carbs spike insulin/glycogon levels causing your liver to join the glucose together creating glycogen when levels get too high of glycogen they are converted into fats by joining them together. While your body is doing this it can't do the reverse so if you spike your blood sugar then go exercise you will effectively be running on empty as your liver will not be able to break the fat down into Glycogen and send it around your body until glycogon/Insulin levels drop. That's my understanding anyway, happy to be proven wrong about it and be educated more on the matter!

All these health shakes make me laugh, they have the same amount of sugar in as a can of coke but are "healthy" as it's from a fruit....the fact that is been masticated out by a machine apparently doesn't come into the marketing spiel. Last time I checked you wouldn't go and eat half as many fruits as you get in a smoothie. Does my head in all the pyramid schemes selling them.

Caffeine is also great is lowers the amount of perceived exertion meaning at the gym it feels like you are doing less than you are, the pre-workout drinks you can get have 200-300MG of caffeine in them as well as other things.

On BPC I always had a feeling that the drinks claiming extra caffeine were literally ground coffee with caffeine added in as a supplement to them, I wonder if this would work with beans. sort of a reverse decaffeinating process put them in liquid with super high caffeine and the beans will take some of that in and up their content. I definitely don't feel like having one as 54g of fat at once sounds like a not so great idea, little and often yes but the speed at what i drink a coffee at it would not be a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im not sure about the 'instead of breakfast'. However I have been a fan of Black coffee before my weights training in the gym every morning. Apparently helps get your fat stores more readily available to be used as energy. (I certainly don't skip breakfast though)

As for the butter, not sure. Ive managed to adjust my body composition quite well using another method. I Actually have Coconut Oil in my black coffee normally on days I don't train, about 6AM and then have breakfast at 9AM, and have a few BCAA's if I'm doing light exersize.

Ive read quite a lot about this and typically follow a PT called Nick Mitchell, he's a bit of an expert on Body composition and getting results as quick as possible (healthily though).

Will skip the Bulletproof though, although I keep reading the odd bad thing about coconut oil now
    London Coffee Machines - Commercial Coffee Machines Installed, and fully Maintained
    Commercial Coffee Machine Rentals, Leasing and Purchase http://londoncoffeemachines.co.uk/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I tried this and now I can't consume coffee from my v60 as it makes me nauseas.

I read somewhere about people doing this in SV and having an advantage over everyone else...but then a few months later the author realised these same people were microdosing LSD which is why they were so good at their jobs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The claims behind bulletproof coffee seem mostly rubbish: https://evidencebasedfitness.net/yum...tproof-coffee/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Any one who is a fan of Joe Rogan might have heard Dave Asprey, the owner of Bulletproof Coffee, on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast years ago talking about his coffee. I spouted a lot about mycotoxins and how bad they were for you and he use Rogans platform to sell his coffee. A few years later Rogan brought this up on his podcast again and said he made a mistake allowing Asprey to promote his coffee before he looked into it more himself. Turns out that when they compared the level of mycotoxins in Bulletproof to some other coffee brands there were in fact more in Bulletproof. Rogan now pushes Caveman Coffee from his podcast but im not sure how nice that is. I have had Bulletproof before though with as close to grass fed butter as i could find in the UK and MCT oil. It looks nice but for me its a bit too greasy in the mouth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    UPDATE:

Turns out the food triangle is upside down. Traditionally people would have eaten a lot more healthy fat and a lot less carbohydrate (processed crap). Diabetes, obesity, cancer and heart disease are not things that naturally happen to people as they get older. As part of a high fat, LOW CARBOHYDRATE diet, I see no problem with a dollop of butter and MCT/coconut oil. Those are healthy fats (ideally butter should be grass-fed).

There is a tiny minority of people with a genetic defect which means that they are not able to well-metabolise high amounts of fat, but that's an anomaly.

Healthy fats include animal fats, full fat dairy (grass-fed), avocados, coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil, omega-3s (seafood, certain nuts and seeds and decent grass-fed beef). Due to the way vegetable oils are chemically extracted, they should be avoided at all cost. Before about 1910 nobody had heard of vegetable oil! There is growing evidence that vegetable oils cause various cancers along with a myriad of other problems.

It must be stressed that it's no good having high fat and high carbohydrate, that's probably worse than high carb - low fat. i.e. Don't go downing a bulletproof coffee with 4 sugars, a slice of white toast and a bowl of cereal!

I've been on a high fat, low carb (I would estimate between 40 and 100g carbohydrate a day, I've not been very strict) diet for about a month, have eaten as much as I want, and have lost 2-3 kilos. Also I've not suffered energy lows in the afternoon/evening as I often would. If you can keep your carb intake below around 50g per day you'll go ketogenic and lose even more weight (losing virtually zero muscle).

In short, take the advice that "professionals" have been giving us for around the last 6 decades and do the opposite!

See:

https://thebigfatsurprise.com/
    I agree 100%. It still makes me mad when i walk through a hospital or dr's surgery (i work in hospitals for a living) and see the balanced diet food chart that promotes twice as many carbs to meat and dairy and the same amount of carbs as vegatables. Dr's have been spouting this rubbish to people for years telling them if they want to eat healthier go home and eat pasta salads and fruit and snack on the "healthy" cereal bars loaded with sugar and glucose syrup and even though the evidence is clear they still refuse to acknowledge it. It is unfortunately part of the reason so many people are diagnosed with diabetes among who things.

I try to eat healthy fats and proteins and only eat carbs (normally rice or potatoes) after i have worked out as carbs increase blood sugar levels but exercise lowers blood sugar level and so therefore eating carbs after a work out helps balance your blood sugar.

Sorry for the rant, touchy subject lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bulletproof coffee sounds thunder!
    Find Best Hotel Quality Canadian, Siberian & Hungarian Goose Down Duvets, Pillow, Quilts And Memory Foam, Spring Mattresses at Cheapest Prices From Raymat Textiles UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle T View Post
    I try to eat healthy fats and proteins and only eat carbs (normally rice or potatoes) after i have worked out as carbs increase blood sugar levels but exercise lowers blood sugar level and so therefore eating carbs after a work out helps balance your blood sugar.

Sorry for the rant, touchy subject lol.
    About 6 years ago I used to eat in a similar way and also followed a ketogenic diet + intermittent fasting for 4 months...
    Fair to say I felt like death through that period but I was < 8% body fat for the entirety of it...
    Simply put it was not sustainable.

For me now though, I find that due to my lifestyle, a percentage balance of 50/30/20% - Carbs/Protein/Fats, works the best as I weight train twice a week and train in combat sports.

Blood sugar levels rise after you neck a whey protein shake, so I'm not convinced that the promotion of a carbohydrate dominant diet is a common factor in people getting diabetes but rather an over-indulgence in food in general and a lack of exercise.

Edit: Oh, and bulletproof coffee is quite simply rediculous. Would much rather have a latte!
    Obsessive Coffee Disorder