Adams and Russell
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhys - #12roasterschallenge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)

I'm really enjoying your reviews and pics too
    L-R / Monolith Titan Conical / E8 / HG-1 / OCD / Wenge LevTamp, Pullman Big Step & Torr 58.4 / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 300ml pitcher / Decent thermometer and pitchers / Ancap, Inker, Acme & Loveramics cups / Espazzola / Hottop / 3 guinea pigs / a dog / and a very lovely husband

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

May 2017

The sixth roaster, and one of two that I am using this month for the #12roasterschallenge is...

Coaltown Coffee Roasters from Wales.. with their Jenkin Jones Decaf

These beans smell quite sweet, even my other half commented on this as I shoved the bag under her nose.
    As a flat white, she told me it was very smooth. I made a syphon (guessed the grind as usual, and I don't think I was far off.) 22g into a 5 cup syphon which gives 2 good mugfulls.
    Amongst the tasting notes are brown sugar and pineapple, and everyone pointed towards it being sweet. From the lingering after-taste that hints of pineapple, I can attest it is sweet.

I'll try it myself as a flat white, just to see what its like.
    Spro = 2011 Mazzer Major auto (Ti burrs) + 2007 La Pavoni Europiccola Millennium
    Brew = Isomac Macinino Professionale Inox + V60/AeroPress/Syphon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

Label from Coaltown..

Just to show the veriaty/location/tasting notes...

Decided to crack on with the 7th roaster of my #12roasterschallenge, which is..

Extract Coffee Swiss Water Decaf

I made an espresso with the Exract, which are darker beans than the Coaltown (which I guessed would be the case due to the cocoa tasting notes). Knew I'd dialled it in when I got a nice pour...

Lovely and smooth and definitely has a chestnut aftertaste, which I'm still getting with a flat white.
    Very nice coffee, with the bonus of being decaf.
    Spro = 2011 Mazzer Major auto (Ti burrs) + 2007 La Pavoni Europiccola Millennium

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

My 8th roaster is a new one which only started up in March this year. All the way north and then a bit, I read about them in an emailed newsletter.

The Orkney Roastery, Aria Chora & Aria Oevrture.

Aria Choro is "A medium-dark Brazilian Dulce grown at high elevation in Ipanema. Rich and round with a muscovado sweetness and a nutty finish"

Aria Overture is a "Medium-dark roasted espresso in a classic Italian style with 100% blended Arabica beans. This espresso has a rounded caramel sweetness set off by a bright acidity"

..warming up the Pavoni as I type.

Ive subscribed to an Orkney newsletter a few years ago after visiting a couple of times. The Orkney Roastrey happened to be one of the articles and instantly I was intrigued.

After a few emails (as the website isn't finished yet) and a phone call last week, I decided to order a bag for my syphon. Then whilst chatting about espresso, I ordered a bag of that as well..

I haven't seen anyone else mention these so hopefully they'll be one to recommend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

OK, made as espresso out of the Overture. Orkney Roasters say they prefer to rest the beans before sending them out so they should be ready to go once you get them (I expect if you want to rest them yourself they'll send fresher ones out). The Choro were freshly roasted and more suited to brewed.

The beans are darker, more DSOL dark and have some oils coming out. I ground 16g and found the shoulders of my tamper were above the basket. Usually with dark roasts I'll weigh 15g. The 16g produced 22g output and a little sour. So decided as they were an Italian style espresso I ground 14g a bit finer (which IIRC is an Italian double) and made a flat white.

16g into 22g. Quite a dark, rich crema and a deep, dark taste but sourish so into the sink it went. Can't give tasting notes as this was a test grind to find a ballpark to start with. Didn't have much water left in the Pavoni so made a flat white instead as milk is more forgiving.

Yeah, I know.. Latte art is rusty from lack of practice

In a way this reminds me of the Australian Skyberry Estate dark roast, same intense richness and cuts through the milk. I really liked the Skyberry and I'm sure once dialled in I will like this in milk.

I have to say though, that I do prefer lighter roasts (which I have several on the go) so it's nice to have a dark roast for when the mood takes me.
    Last edited by Rhys; 22-05-17 at 10:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

Onto my 9th roaster and one that is local to me..

York Coffee Emporium

Decided to pop by and pick up a bag, and Laurence being the start he is, gave me some Single Origin as well.

So I've ended up with a decaf blend, and a Colombia Antioquia decaf.

Blurb from the website says:

Decaf blend

Taste

This is a great-tasting decaffeinated coffee, sweet, bright and smooth with a lively cocoa after-taste.
    Facts

A blend of two superb Central American decaffeinated coffees, Peruvian McM and Honduras SHG, this coffee is CO2-processed to remove the caffeine.

Decaf Colombia Antioquia

Taste

This coffee is truly remarkable, if you didn’t know it was decaffeinated you really would not be able to tell! Trick your guests or even treat yourself to a truly beautiful cup of this amazing Colombian coffee.
    Massive notes of toffee come through this brilliant coffee, with subtle sweet flavours of fudge, Brazil nuts and a soft creamy body.

What we have found really phenomenal about this particular cup, is that despite being a decaf, there are so many incredible flavours that burst through, with its creamy rich body, full of delicious toffee fudge and Brazil nuts, the coffee still holds a lovely subtle acidity and all together brings a wonderful flavour profile that any coffee drinker would be happy to sip.

Coincidentally, as well as being my 9th coffee roaster for the #12roasterschallenge, YCE do a blend called 'The 9th' which is a reference to the Roman 9th Legion..

Julius Caesar's Ninth Legion built the first Roman Fort in Eboracum (York) and gives its name to this lovely blend. Embodying what we are about at York Coffee Emporium, this coffee is a medium-roasted hug in a cup.
    I've had most of their coffees, and although mainstream medium roasted, they rarely disappoint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

My 10th roaster has just delivered their decaf today..

Union

Decaf Maraba Rwanda. Washed red bourbon. Light roasted as well.

Tasting notes say: Tangerine, Redcurrant and Toffee..

Looking forward to trying these in a few days.

Rather like the packaging as well,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

Tasting notes say 'tangerine - redcurrant - toffee'
    I'm getting more of a grapefruit/zesty tangerine thing going on in espresso (15g>34g). Not tried it in milk yet but it got the approval of my other half. Great thing is ive just had two and it's gone half past 10 at night!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

11th Roaster (nearly there...)

Craft House Coffee

Brazil Fazenda Londrina Decaf (pretty sure I've had this from another roaster, without looking back..)

Tasting notes say "Light orange zest with a full caramel and hazelnut body" and from the AeroPress I'm getting the zesty, fruitiness coming through followed by a caramel finish. Did 14g and filled it up to the brim with water. Gave it a shake (forgot to stir) inverted, left for a minute then pressed. Unfortunately my AeroPress is leaking a bit as the rubber is worn.
    Now getting the Hazelnut while typing this.. Still getting the zestyness coming through. This is really nice. Think I'll Syphon it tomorrow.

And a big thanks to Flickr for hosting my pics, as I've gone right off Photoblocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    11th Roaster (nearly there...)

Craft House Coffee

Brazil Fazenda Londrina Decaf (pretty sure I've had this from another roaster, without looking back..)

Tasting notes say "Light orange zest with a full caramel and hazelnut body" and from the AeroPress I'm getting the zesty, fruitiness coming through followed by a caramel finish. Did 14g and filled it up to the brim with water. Gave it a shake (forgot to stir) inverted, left for a minute then pressed. Unfortunately my AeroPress is leaking a bit as the rubber is worn.
    Now getting the Hazelnut while typing this.. Still getting the zestyness coming through. This is really nice. Think I'll Syphon it tomorrow.

And a big thanks to Flickr for hosting my pics, as I've gone right off Photoblocket.
    Would you recommend this one? I'm looking for more decaff to try in filter brews.