Adams and Russell
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 Roasters Challenge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)

Default 12 Roasters Challenge

I'd like to run a little competition in 2017 to reward those who push the boundaries of taste and wish to improve their palates.

The idea is simple: Try a different roaster each month

Start a thread with the roaster whose beans you're drinking in January and update this thread at least monthly (or each time you try a new roaster), listing the roaster and beans you have already enjoyed and the beans you are currently drinking.

Add any tasting notes and a photo of the bag also.
    Add any likes / dislikes too, so that we can all explore different beans.

Each person who completes the challenge will get a special badge assigned in 2018 and will go into the draw for a prize.

Trying the beans from the forum sponsors is a great place to start.
    We also have a few new roasters coming on board shortly.
    Advertise on Coffee Forums UK - spaces available now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'd like to run a little competition in 2017 to reward those who push the boundaries of taste and wish to improve their palates.

The idea is simple: Try a different roaster each month

Start a thread with the roaster whose beans you're drinking in January and update this thread at least monthly (or each time you try a new roaster), listing the roaster and beans you have already enjoyed and the beans you are currently drinking.

Add any tasting notes and a photo of the bag also.
    Add any likes / dislikes too, so that we can all explore different beans.

Each person who completes the challenge will get a special badge assigned in 2018 and will go into the draw for a prize.

Trying the beans from the forum sponsors is a great place to start.
    We also have a few new roasters coming on board shortly.
    So as not to feel alienated, I take it there will also be a category for decaf drinkers?
     You never hear the bullet thats kills you 

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Decaf is coffee , well kinda .. plus always people looking for decaf options to explore . be a good thead to have
    #Beans not machines- all welcome - where we taste and swap beans
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/503036363197361/
    I wrote a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...
    https://rjwinc.wordpress.com
    Instagram
    rjw_inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)

@dfk41 This is a coffee forum and decaf coffee counts. I have had some great decafs in the past year that you would be hard pressed to tell were decaf.
    Advertise on Coffee Forums UK - spaces available now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)

So have I which strikes the question, does decaf have a particular taste, or not, as the case might be. I have tried to introduce decaf as a topic a few times, but I always get the impression people think of it as the poor mans relation, as indeed I did! I am going to start a new decaf thread as see if it goes anywhere
     You never hear the bullet thats kills you 

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

I think I'd be up for this, as we drink both 'normal' and decaf.

I think the stigma decaf gets isn't just from drinkers as a 'poor man's relation', but can also be from some roasters (one roaster I spoke to said it wasn't as nice as normal caffeinated coffee, and was more difficult to roast as it was dryer so prone to catching fire!). Also many roasters only offer one decaf option, two at the most. Though emailing them might yield more that they don't mention on the web.

It'll certainly make it a challenge to get folks away from their usual go-to roaster and try something different. I'm guessing a comparison can be got from different roasters using the same beans as well to see how their profiles vary?
    Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche
    Output:
    KVdW Speedster
    + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Isn't this what the "In my cup" thread is for? Right enough not many using it these days

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Step21 View Post
    Isn't this what the "In my cup" thread is for? Right enough not many using it these days
    Right enough, but in that thread you can use the same roaster most of the time (Has Bean SSSS for eg.) so not not really a challenge, where as this one gets you looking for different roasters.
    Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche
    Output:
    KVdW Speedster
    + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

A nice idea, but I tend to find a roaster that I like and then work through their range.

So although I am likely to try lots of different beans, I doubt that they would come from more than half a dozen different roasters over the year.

I don't really get through enough to be able to truly spread the love AND show a bit of loyalty to the roasters that I like.
    BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)

I am terrible at making decisions, the month would be over before I picked a roaster.

Would it be too complicated if we expressed interest, went into a pool, then drew lots as to which roaster to try that month?
    “Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/